Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: N00b question about adding/matching floors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:28 pm 
New User

Hi guys, just bought an older home with an (mostly) orignal hardwood floor, and wanted some opinions.

Some background. 2 storey bungalow, we are leaving the basement alone now, as I want to do the projects right, so my budget restrictions do not allow me to do the whole house at once, since there are multiple projects (roof, chimney,etc). Each floor is roughly 1400 sq. ft. Top floor had an extension built (15x11 master bedroom with ensuite). Kitchen and bathrooms are vinyl. We are planning on doing either vinyl or tile in the kitchen and bathroom. Here is the problem:

The master bedroom and ensuite are carpeted in nasty carpet. Wood subfloor. For some reason, when they added the extension, part of the main hallway/foyer's HW was removed, so now half of it is carpeted with a wood subfloor. The rest of the house has 1 1/2" oak. It's in fairly good shape, and looks like it has been refinished at least once (the house is 49 years old).

The question is this: if we want to finish the bedroom and hallway in HW, which option would be best and/or most cost effective:

1) Do it all in 1 1/2" oak to match
2) Do the bedroom in a contrasting wood and try to find "rescued" oak floor to match the old floor
3) Do the bedroom in a contrasting wood and the part of the hallway in new wood to match old.
4) Do whatever to the bedroom, but rip out all the wood in the hallway, so we can get it all the same.
5) Match the part of the hallway with the bedroom in new wood, rip out the first part of the hallway, and put in tile, so we don't have to worry about matching at all.

Sorry for the many options, but I have not ever lived in a house with HW, and since this is our first home together (I bought my current home for myself years ago), I want to do it right.

Oh, btw, the hallway section which is carpeted is about 3x8'

Thanks for any insight/opinions.

Gary