Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nails in floor!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:44 am 
New User

HI:
About to buy this house and we check the hardwood in the master bedroom, and the owner has five long rows (the length of the room) where the floor was nailed down (from the top, flush to the floor) to the subfloor. They were attempting to make some type of repair (who knows), but created a huge problem for me.

I have to find the best way to remove the nails to cut the cost the contractor is going to charge for re-finishing. These nails are about two inches apart, and are about two inches long.

What is the best way, tool, or method, to remove the nails with the least amount of damage to the wood.

Thanks for you help.

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:50 pm 
Worthy Contributor

You could try to get underneath and drive them up enough to grab the nailhead. While down there, you could then try to fix the problem they were probably trying to fix-squeeks. Thats another post though.
Assuming you are talking about framing nails, sometimes the heads can be sanded off. If the nail heads are not set into the flooring an edger with a low grit will eliminate the head and you can set the shank with a nail set.
Or you can set the nails and fill.
Otherwise, a cats claw is the best nail remover.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:41 pm 
Prized Contributor

If they are not finish nails, drill into the center of the head with a smaller drill bit. Then use a nail set to set the nail deeper into the wood, then fill or let your sand guy fill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:19 pm 
New User

Thanks all.
I have decided to leave the nails (not finsh nails) (too many to deal with, and if left in place they will continue to solve the original problem - squeaky floors). I have done some reading regarding setting the nails and filling, but it sounds a lil complicated. Can I just hammer the nails down further and fill the gaps? Do I have to drill into the heads before setting the nails? Purpose? I read that I need a special filler material that will harden and not blead? Does any of this sound correct? What is the best filler material for red/white oak? Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:42 pm 
Prized Contributor

First off, are these framing nails with big heads?

Or are they small head finish nails?

Big heads, drill them off and set the left over shank deeper into the wood, with a nail punch (nail set)
If they are small finish nails, then use a nail punch (nail set) and set them deeper into the wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:14 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I would also avoid using any filler on the holes, and let your finisher take care of it. No issues that way.