Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Name for flooring business
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:10 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Tring to find a good name for a hardwood floor bus. at Least I need one to open an account at the supply shop, and business lic.
I was thinking about
"Excalibur Floors"
Not really sure why, I had the screen name for years, Don't want to use first name or initals, Also what if that same name exists in another city or State. Can I get in trouble??

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:39 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Where I'm from, to get a business checking acct. the bank wants to see that you have notified the public of your intention of going into business and what your fictitious business name is. To do that, you go to the County Recorder's Office and file a form with them and look at their records to see if anyone else in the area/county has the same business name. If no one else does, you're good to go and place your notice in one of the local papers. I have seen flooring outfits with the same name. If they don't have a copyright on it, you have just as much right to use it as they do. However, it could cause confusion. Check the local county records of business names to see if anyone is using the one you want to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:17 am 
New User

Many years ago, in another life (ha, ha) I went to some advertising seminars put on by Jack Trout (I think that's the name) who has written some good books on marketing and advertising.

Trout says to avoid initial names, such as B&B, J&R; etc., etc. (very common around here, there's millions of them). Initial names are okay if you're an IBM or 3M, because everyone knows what they stand for and who they are.

A good name should say something about what business you're in.

Avoid using words in your name such as "Expert", "Best" (unless that's your last name, you might not be the best) "Done Right", and other names that use superlatives and obviouly just puff you up.

I'm not sure what "Excalibur" means. Just looked it up ... "the magic sword of King Arthur". How does that describe you and your business? Will anyone else know what it means? To me, it meant nothing till I looked it up, and now it means even less.

I would also suggest a name that is easy to remember (by others, of course! ha, ha)

Just a few suggestions. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:31 am 
Worthy Contributor

Unfortunately, trademark/servicemark issues can arise regardless of how well you search. And, even if you search the business names, there is no guarantee that you won't pick a name so close to another's that it won't draw the ire of the mark holder.

I would suggest you not spend a ton of money initially in selecting your business name. I've had the unfortunate experience of advising several clients that they needed to change their name or prepare for some type of litigation.