Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Natural Walnut?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:13 am 
New User

We are building a new house and are considering putting natural walnut solid hardwood in natural Walnut throughout the main floor. Are there any 'con's' to Walnut? I've read that it is not the hardest wood and may scratch and dent easily - is there anyone out there with experience with this product? As well, we were considering going with a matte finish rather than a gloss. We don't have any kids (yet) and have one 13 year old cat. We really like the variation of colors in the walnut and were thinking that it would be good at hiding dust/dirt. I prefer the look of a 3-1/4" to a 4" and my hubby prefers the 2-1/4" due to less risk future problems. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Candace.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:25 am 
Prized Contributor

There are pros and cons to any type of wood. Walnut, while softer than some other hardwoods, is still a beautiful choice. Bear in mind that no wood is impervious to denting, so a harder wood would only have a smaller dent that a softer wood; but all woods will dent to some degree if you drop something heavy on the floor. Scratches will primarily be in the finish, so wood selection is immaterial for prevention of that.
It will be a tragic event the day you get your first dent (same as a car) but live with it, cause there WILL be more.
Walnut does have some very significant pluses, including stability.
For width, the 2 1/4 size will present a more formal look, while wider boards will have a more casual, contemporary look.
Walnut looks best with the clarity of a semi-gloss finish, but a matte finish will help conceal some of the day to day activities in your home.
Choose for personal esthetics and enjoy your new floors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:03 pm 
New User

Thank you for your thoughts Dennis. I will certainly take everything you said into consideration.
Candace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:32 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Also consider the cost. Walnut is easily double the cost of oak, brazilian cherry, and often, maple. Furthermore, walnut trees are not huge, like oaks can be, so often Walnut flooring has shorter lengths and more knots, mostly in the plank sizes. Strip walnut flooring could have longer lengths and less knots. In my professional opinion, while American Black Walnut is a beautiful wood, it isn't the best choice for flooring due to it's high cost and lower impact resistance ( PSI ). I do like it's superior stability however.