Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need advice on Kahrs engineered wood in sarasota florida?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:36 pm 
New User

We are looking to replace old carpeting with engineered wood in our house located in sarasota florida (approximately 1035 sf) I want the healthiest non toxic floor I can afford as the past two years we have had some health challenges with my husband having recovered from severe heart and lung problems brought on my pneumonia and we had a cancer scare with our underage daughter. I am on a mission now to try my best to create a non-toxic and healthy home as possible. I have done some research online and was leaning towards a floating floor from Kahrs, possibly white oak bisbee, 3 strip Avanti Collection as I saw a sale on it for the month of July from online retailer. I have a few questions:
1. Any thoughts or advice on using Kahrs in florida? A local flooring company mentioned they would not float a floor over 5 inches wide and I see the Kahr Aventi 3 strip is 7 7/8 inch wide. Do you think it is ok to float flooring that is 7 7/8 wide in florida?

2. Since most of the flooring companies here don't carry Kahrs I was going to order product online and look for someone local to install. Does anyone have recommendations for installers in sarasota florida?

3. Any opinion on 1 strip, 2 strip or 3 strip?

Thank you

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need advice on Kahrs engineered wood in sarasota florida?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:32 am 
Prized Contributor

Three strip will be the best product to use in an area with humidity changes because the grain expansion will tend to even out, compared to one wide plank.
I don't know why there would be a limit on a 5 inch width, presently any flooring under 4 inches is not recommended for floating installation. Of course there will be an expansion gap at walls and any obstructions.
When you receive the wood open a box and read the instructions. Many installers don't take the time to read them. You are the boss and should have an idea of what work you are going to contract for. The instructions are in 8 different languages so you can understand.
This time of year many installers are busy.
Just because the flooring is pre-finished doesn't mean there will not be any dust during installation.
Good luck
You may find an installer in your area at the NWFA web-site

Profile E-mail