Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need advice - 12 weeks and counting of rework!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:29 pm 
New User

What was supposed to be a 5 day install of new red oak and a screen and coat on existing hardwoods has turned into a 12 week ordeal. Both the new and existing hardwoods have been sanded, stained and three coats of oil-based polyurethane applied not one but three times!

Still have issues with chatter, dish out, gapping and lap lines.
The flooring company has been responsive, even bringing in a new crew, but we are at wits’ end. Is this “final” product what we should expect?

Any advise/inputs are greatly appreciated!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hhy38faEkPefShCv9

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need advice - 12 weeks and counting of rework!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:15 am 
New User

lucetipo wrote:
What was supposed to be a 5 day install of new red oak and a screen and coat on existing hardwoods has turned into a 12 week ordeal. Both the new and existing hardwoods have been sanded, stained and three coats of oil-based polyurethane applied not one but three times!

Still have issues with chatter, dish out, gapping and lap lines.
The flooring company has been responsive, even bringing in a new crew, but we are at wits’ end. Is this “final” product what we should expect?

Any advise/inputs are greatly appreciated!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hhy38faEkPefShCv9

How far apart are they. Chatter are small marks that look a lot like plainer marks about 1/2" to 1" apart. Waves are described as marks about 3" to 5" a part. I run a American Super 83 and have used Amercan 8 (both are pretty much the same machine) and deal with chatter marks all the time. I had a big problem with waves about 1 year ago. I replaced a lot of stuff on my machine the drum, the drum shaft, tension springs, pulleys (I bought the poly-v pulley from FloorStyle). I think my main problem was I got a drum exchange from a company and the drum was much smaller in circumference than my previous one. After I got a good company (Us Sander) to recover a good drum for me and replaced the wheels with new polyurethene wheels wave has not been a problem. I still do have some chatter but I have a UFO that takes it out pretty good.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need advice - 12 weeks and counting of rework!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 am 
Prized Contributor

Wood floors seldom come out perfect, however that is the goal. The finish and the flooring will amber with time and you will be happier.

Profile E-mail