Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I need feedback for my website please...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:54 pm 
Newbie Contributor

This is a website I'v been working on.....would like + and - criticism. I am only 22 years old and have been running this business since the end of 2006. Thanks .

www.rendeflooring.com

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Here are a few ideas

1- Too much wasted real estate(white space)
2- Contact information/location should be more visible

There are others. I really like to see guys getting their websites. Considering you are young you probably understand the benefits of the internet. Most guys are old school and prefer what works for them. Or if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But the overall business is broken badly and a good time to get internet exposure.

Pic of the NWFA convention(March 28, 2008) on it's busiest day. Think business is down?

Congradulations on taking that first step!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:09 am 
Worthy Contributor

I thought that Ken had some good points. And you have a great looking business and you website does reflect that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:36 am 
Prized Contributor

I was viewing your portfolio, very good work. I can't help you with your website question cause I don't know what the heck I am doing either. :)

I have a friend who is supposed to take over the reins and do a major overhaul later on this year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:23 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I found your website to be simple...but effective. I like the flash player stuff, I think that some of the " use of real estate" could be cured even with a nice watermark background. Other than that I found it very easy to navigate, somewhat simple to look at, but sometimes simple is good. We don't have to dazzle to sell our products, just be good at what we do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:58 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Nice portfolio, which finish do you use in most of those? it looks like a semi gloss oil 2-3 coats?

You mispelt nerve in the third paragraph of your entry.

Some of the navigation keys were hard for me to decipher ie the maximize and the forward and backward arrows.

The intro may be like 5 seconds too long before your company name drops,

All and all good going!

You have motivated me! :idea:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:52 pm 
Newbie Contributor

It has a professional look about it. Definitely does not look like a do it yourself website. My only suggestion would be less writing more pictures. I find really bright, vibrant and eye catching photos of your work sell your business more than anything else. Show off your work wherever you can, not just in your portfolio page. Most people ( myself included) have short attention spans. Grab them with visuals and format your text in a way that is not all block paragraphs.

On another topic, how did you get started on your own? How did you develop your clientel? And how is business? I'm curious because I am in the early stages of setting up my own shop. Drop me an e mail and let me know. floatingrob@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:37 pm 
Valued Contributor

I noticed most of the things that everyone else mentioned. I'd like to add that you gave an honest description of dust control sanding.

I do the same rather than hype up something or some companies dust control equipment.Navigation is nice and in my opinion, a good website will be one that is easy to navigate, looks clean and gives simple answers and information so that if a person with zero flooring experience finds your site, they wont be overwhelmed with jargon.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:17 pm 
New User

Nice website; I'm in the process of setting up one for myself. I like the clean modern feel to it. If you're going for that kind of client, maybe you could add a tab to the top and babble about "green" for a bit.
Beautiful work (the white/black stairs is incredibly stunning).

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, some additions! Adding content is a major plus! That is...words that search engines can find you with. If you know how to fiddle with the html you would do much better if the title tags were more descriptive instead of this...

<title>A WebsiteBuilder Website - Home</title>

Try putting in something that best reflects your business for the home page such as:

<title>Hardwood Flooring Installation Refinishing - Providence RI</title>

People may find you in search engines if that is taken care of, but with Google local search, unfortunately you're pushed down on the page too far. Still too much wasted RE on top. I would venture 4 out of five people will never see your contact information and leave before going anywhere else. It's the nature of people and the web.

You would think they will see the contact us link, but my experience has taught me hit 'em with what they're looking for right away.

Here's a good link on design ideas.

http://www.cre8asiteforums.com/

Very helpful people and an area for site reviews/opinions.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:52 pm 
New User

If you want your "targeted" audience to find you then listen to some of the things Ken is telling you. as Ken eluded too a title tag with "WebsiteBuilder Website" is not going to help you with the search engines.

Also, I would dump the Flash intro, your customers are task driven and it it serves no purposes to them. The Flash intro does not help you with the SE spiders.

You would be better off offering Ken some mooola to update and optimize your web site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:31 am 
Site Admin

Nice to hear from you John! I have too much updating to do now that so many are using wider screen resolutions! Maybe this winter. Ack! And here I thought 1024 x 768 was here to stay.

Incidentally guys, John is the premier go to guy on the web for flooring related websites if you're serious about being on the web. Look at all the sites he's done....there are more, but.

http://www.webstreamdynamics.com/stores ... amples.asp

I was going to say the same about the Flash.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:35 am 
New User

I was working all day yesterday on a project and was doing some Googling and came across your forum. Figured I had to stop in and chat a little and say "HI". It look like you have been busy working on your site re-design and optimization. good job!!

Ken, your location says Ellijay, Georgia. Did you move?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:54 am 
Site Admin

Been in the process of moving for a few months. I've actually been up there for most of the spring and summer doing stuff I've always wanted to but never had the opportunity because I was never a homeowner...landscaping. Now I have four cool wooded acres, and a lil cabin(I don't need much) to play with on a beautiful creek.

People have such a hard time finding me including local folks, but it amazed me the Fed Ex guy did. So much I had to snap a pic.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:36 am 
New User

Ken, it looks wonderful!! And of course you have high-speed Internet too!

What a change that must have been for you. Good for you! Enjoy!

Best wishes!

John Simonson
http://www.webstreamdynamics.com