Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need guidance on good engineered wood brands
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:14 am 
New User

I'm having a floor installed over an existing damaged floor. I have a quote (from a supplier on the insurance company's list) for Boen, but I'm being told that since they do not use aluminum oxide on the surface, there will be scratches and possible discoloration if not protected from the sunlight (which I have a lot of). Also that they have a natural finish and a lacquer finish, neither of which is very hardy.

Will be very grateful for recommendations as to a reliable brand for a durable floor in the New York City area. Many thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need guidance on good engineered wood brands
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:50 pm 
Prized Contributor

All wood floors will be discolored by the bleaching effect of the sun over time.
Even aluminum oxide finish will scratch if no precautions are taken. Keeping grit away from the surface will help the finish last longer. Checking furniture to make sure that every piece has floor protectors is good.
You make be happier with a laminate floor. It only has pictures of beautiful wood, but has a harder surface that can be made with an aluminum oxide protected surface. The drawback is that it is so hard that it can chip instead of denting when stressed. Sometimes it is very hard to tell that the floor is not real wood. Consider this type of flooring for your special needs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:36 am 
New User

Hey,

Since you are planning on installing a new floor over an already existing one, then engineered flooring is indeed, a wise choice. I'm crossing my fingers that you will be able to click-attach it throughout the entire floor, but if the surface you are laying it on is a bit tricky, you might have to use secret nails. And since there's an existing damaged floor underneath, if you were to ever remove/replace both, you would be creating yourself some unnecessary work.

Before my wife and I moved from London to NY, we had an engineered flooring from Kahrs in our house. We bought it from a local company, and we were quite satisfied with it. Furthermore, they are equipped, so to speak, with a hard to scratch top layer, that makes them ten times harder to scratch, compared to other engineered floors. I am a bit lost as to where you would be able to find it in New York. I wish you good luck in your search though, because it Is definitely worth it.

Cheers,
LB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:11 am 
Newbie Contributor

What kind of existing floor are you going over, and how is it damaged?

It might not be a good idea to float over a subfloor that isn't properly prepared. Flatness is key to an engineered floating install.

If it has to be done, Laminate isn't a bad option as suggested above.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:10 am 
Newbie Contributor

.uptownfloors. great service and American made

http://www.uptownfloors.com/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:47 am 
New User

Pete A. wrote:
All wood floors will be discolored by the bleaching effect of the sun over time.
Even aluminum oxide finish will scratch if no precautions are taken. Keeping grit away from the surface will help the finish last longer. Checking furniture to make sure that every piece has floor protectors is good.
You make be happier with a laminate floor. It only has pictures of beautiful wood, but has a harder surface that can be made with an aluminum oxide protected surface. The drawback is that it is so hard that it can chip instead of denting when stressed. Sometimes it is very hard to tell that the floor is not real wood. Consider this type of flooring for your special needs.

thanks for this sir.. it helps me a lot

Profile E-mail