Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need help in bamboo flooring repair
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:59 am 
New User

I recently had a floating bamboo floor installed in my house. During the installation, the contractor/subcontractor had to remove and replace two planks because he had scratched them while in the process of the installation. After the installation was completed, I noticed that the two new planks, which were adjacent to each other, did not meet perfectly. Instead of a smooth transition edge, one plank, when stepped upon, would fall much lower than the next, resulting in a very rough and noticeable edge.

After talking to the contractor who was in charge of the project, he expressed that the subcontractor had to cut off part of the tongue of one of the planks while installing the new ones. He reassured my husband and I that it was part of the standard repair procedure. However, he did express that the subcontractor must have neglected to glue the edges together, therefore resulting in one edge being lower than the other.

On a subsequent repair visit, glue was applied between the edges, and pressure was placed on the higher plank with the hope of pushing it down so that the two edges would meet. However, on inspection the next day, it appears that the rough edge is still there.

The contractor had expressed that the next possible solution would be to sand down the area and refinish it.

What would be the best solution in fixing this problem?
Will we need to replace some of the planks in order to remedy this problem?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:43 am 
Prized Contributor

If the plank falls when it is walked on, and it sits lower, causing overwood, it tells me there my be a low spot on the subfloor, allowing the plank to sink.

Subfloor specs for a floating floor are pretty tight.

1/8 of an in in a 6 foot span, or you have flex in the floor, an in the case of a repair as yours, causing an individual plank to move.

Even if it is glued right, chances are that plank would come loose in the same way, until the subfloor under it is fixed. Shimming with roofing felt may solve it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
However, on inspection the next day, it appears that the rough edge is still there.

Floating floor repairs are a bugger to repair. Sounds like glue that set in some areas is not allowing any more flex to force down the area that's lifting. Try the repair again and make sure all boards are vertically flush to one another before allowing to glue to set. Very hard to see when there are weights placed on top. Maybe the homemade vertical clamp will work better. If your celings are low enough it's worked for me 2' x 4's wedged carefully not to damage celing or floor.

It's also tough to make this kind of repair with bowed boards.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail