Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need help FAST please!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:37 pm 
New User

Dear Friends,

I found a really good price on Bruce Brazillian Cherry lock n clic on clearance at Lowes. They are holding it for me until Saturday. The sample they showed was consistant in color. Now I am hearing that Brazillian Cherry has that random changing color look (that tigerwood thing). I do NOT want that! I want a very uniform floor with as close to zero variation as possible. (I cannot afford unfinished, and I have a concrete floor underneath so I cannot use solid hardwood.)

I plan to go ask them to open, or even buy a couple of boxes to look at it, but would REALLY appreciate your feedback and wisdom and experience. Is BC always varied? I love its wood grain and texture, and prefer it greatly to Oak. . Is there anything HARD that will not have that variation? American Cherry is just too soft. I grew up with old hardwood floors, before and after refinishing dark, and have looked at a zillion kinds of wood over the years in furniture, so I know a lot about what I like and don't like. (Also I don't think that variation will be good in my home-conservative community and I will be selling or renting in about 18 months).

Also Bruce seems far superior to the stores basic brands, in terms of top layer and construction, but this is the only one I've found anywhere that I can afford.

Any and ALL input would REALLY be appreciated from anyone with experience with Bruce or Brazilain Cherry. I have to decide by Saturday morning! (And of course its a lot of money -- especially for me)

You guys are all great btw, so thanks in advance!

DoIBuy

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need help FAST please!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:52 pm 
Prized Contributor

X-nay on the lock an click. How about some stained hickory from Anderson or some Koubari?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13772863@N08/8168542446/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13772863@N08/4832026165/

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:46 pm 
Valued Contributor

Bruce will be the cream of the crop when dealing with Home depit ir Lowes..the other lines are all Chinese pressoboard inferior garbage.

if your subfloor isn't percet you will regret any click lock system..they suck

as for uniformity, nothing will offer perfect uniformity if it is natural..Manmade or simulated, tinted or sprayed are the only way.

BRazilian Cheryy will always vary from deep reds to even blackish lighter undertones.
You would need clear to get the best variety.

Sometimes there are things on sale or being offered in clearance..why don't you check with local contractors.

Bruce Turlington Brazilian Cherry can be gotten reasonably

http://www.flortechardwood.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:33 pm 
Prized Contributor

JamesTRD wrote:
Bruce will be the cream of the crop when dealing with Home depit ir Lowes..the other lines are all Chinese pressoboard inferior garbage.

if your subfloor isn't percet you will regret any click lock system..they suck

as for uniformity, nothing will offer perfect uniformity if it is natural..Manmade or simulated, tinted or sprayed are the only way.

BRazilian Cheryy will always vary from deep reds to even blackish lighter undertones.
You would need clear to get the best variety.

Sometimes there are things on sale or being offered in clearance..why don't you check with local contractors.

Bruce Turlington Brazilian Cherry can be gotten reasonably

Yeah, jest watch out for the splinters. LOL
:roll:
Quote:

Hi,I just had prefinished Bruce hardwood oak flooring installed in my home. This is my first home and first time having hardwood installed. The installation finished yesterday and today i had a chance to clean up the dust and examine the floors. I noticed a lot of problems or things that i think that the contractor should address. Here are the major ones, which i also included pics of (except #4)1. splintering along the edges of boards - - See more at: post51192.html?hilit=#p51192

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:00 am 
New User

if you are planning on renting the space real wood may not be the ideal choice as non owners tend to be more abrasive on the property than you would be. with wood being so prone to damage from water and pets coupled with your desire for uniform color an lvp product may be your golden ticket. they also work well with the concrete. I would also take comfort in a product that is easily repaired and carries a 20 mil wear layer in the instance of renting. these products are also installed more economically than real hardwood.
all of that being said hardwood will add value to your home if you are leaning towards selling. but as someone stated earlier no true hardwood will be uniform. however the variation that is inherent to hardwood helps to hide some of the wear and tear or characterization of the floor. I also agree that bruce may be the best a box store has to offer but is by far not the best bang for your buck. if you do purchase the bruce just buy extra to offset the boards you don't want to use.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:56 am 
New User

Thanks so much for the helpful replies.

So: my budget is under $4.00 sft. The Bruce at Lowes is on clearance for $3.60. That nixes virtually everything you guys were sharing. (I need to do a minimum of 750 sft because it's all open to each other)

In my area laminate is a no-go. So my only other option is carpet and that REALLY takes a beating. (I'm not putting wood in kitchen or baths though -- tile in there) Or are you saying it's better to go with carpet than the Bruce click product

Assuming from the start that I can't afford the really good stuff, why no to click floors -- assuming a good quality and water barrier underlayment? (Got any to recommend). We have shifting floors here so I hear it's better for me than glue down?

After all of that though, what I was really trying to find out is whether Brazilian Cherry is more varied in color than other woods. Or is that just the style right now? Is it possible to find a more uniform decent floor in my price range (not perfect, just not striped lol)?

I guess I can wait up to a year, and keep looking for a better deal, but how do I find the flooring I like in the first place, when even the displays are so small?

Someone did mention Shaw and I am going to try to find someplace local that carries that... but is it ANY kind of Shaw or just the more expensive line?

(If any of you seller or installers are from CA, maybe we could work a trade?)

I really really appreciate the input

DoIBuy....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:17 pm 
Prized Contributor

I hooked up a consumer in CA with their local Prosource and they were extremely happy with the selection. If ones near you you can use my name to get in, call first.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:21 pm 
New User

You are so kind! How lovely! I will call them now!

DIB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:59 pm 
Prized Contributor

Your welcome. The one here recently updated their wood section. Most of it here is engineered for obvious reasons. Yours may have some different product than mine.

Profile E-mail