Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need help feathering hardwood floor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:50 pm 
New User

OK so ill start by asking for pity since this is my first home, and this was my first of many to come (im sure) boneheaded moves.

My uncle painted my living room (22'x12') with a sprayer. He got significant paint on the floors. I had a lot of projects going on, so instead of taking the time and hands&kneesing it with hot water and time, i took a shortcut. I went to home depot to get either goof off or denatured alcohol to help speed the process up. The guy ended up swearing by this new product and saying how much better it would be for what im doing (blah blah) and i bought it. It turned out it was a stripper (citristrip) yes its even in the name and i didnt think about it...

I came home and was doing another project and my GF opened it up and put it on the areas that had paint. We cleaned it up, and everything looked awesome. Next day i come home to realize it ate through the varnish and my floor looked like a leopard.

Adding to the issue, I had a fairly large wear spot in the room that was dark. There are some pet spots in the room as well. After weeks of contemplating ive decided against just having the floors redone, not in the budget. My plan is to DIY and try to patch and feather the spots. Almost all of them will have furniture over them, or molding. So Im not overly concerned as long as I can get it close.

I believe the floors are not stained, only clear coated (tell me if im wrong).

my plan was to steel wool the spots, coat of poly. let it dry, steel wool, poly, and repeat.

If you can see the large area that i ended up taking a palm sander to, that was the dark wear spot, with a big scratch in the middle. That area is much lighter then the surrounding wood, so im wondering if i should try and feather in a stain before i clear coat it. Thoughts?

Here is the link to 10 photos

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/it2sjezit4qg42p/qixwBHhkJv

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need help feathering hardwood floor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:09 pm 
Valued Contributor

wipe the floor down with mineral; spirits to neutralize the stripper.

than finish your hand/palm sanding to feather off hard edges where finsih was peeled?eaten.

touch up the finish in those areas..
repeat again next day..hand sand the spots,clean and touch up,

last coat screen the whole floor and apply fresh coating to whole area.

it is way to difficult to explain how to do a localized touch up and even for pros they are extremely difficult and often result in uneven blends.

do the whole area

http://www.flortechardwood.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:19 am 
New User

Im assuming I should at least rough up the existing floor before doing all of it with poly, correct? What would you recommend I use to do so?

Also, any guess on what color stain (if any) that is? Or will a poly simply do

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:33 pm 
Valued Contributor

its looks clear/natural.

yes you need to rough it up..which I why I said screen.

but if its just one room, you can use a pole and drywall sander block with some 100 grit paper on it.

put some elbow grease into to get a consistent break of sheen on the floor..you dont need to take it away..just open it up so it all appears dull and whitish and visibly scarified.
vacuum it..use a wet towel and wipe to down to get the excess dust up..let dry then coat.

you can use a 4-6
5" china bristle brush and work in sections with the grain .

form columns like cutting the lawn starting from furthest corner to entrance and work toward your exit.

http://www.flortechardwood.net

Profile E-mail