Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need help finishing floor
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:38 pm 
New User

Please help
I just finished sanding my floors. They came out real good. I want to put down Fabulon Polyurethane, High gloss. Can I or should I put down a sanding sealer first? Now I want to know if I can put down a clear Lacquer sanding sealer first? Can you advise me. Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:20 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I do not recommended using lacquer or lacquer sanding sealers under urethane floor finishes. Fabulon can be used straight on the floor as it is; no sealer is necessary. Oil Modified Polyurethanes are their own sealers. Some used to cut the first coat with mineral spirits but that is not "legal" in many places anymore so I cannot recommend doing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:59 am 
i dident know they still used lacquer , We used to get tons of fires sanding them off the bowling lanes .. a lot of guys got burned perty bad ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:02 pm 

The illegal hack lowballers in Boston use them. It was in the papers awhile back how three oriental men blew up themselves and the house they were working in by using lacquer as a sealer. We can all thank our ineffective government who will not enforce the existing laws for stupid accidents such as these. If proper licensing and enforcement were in place, along with enforcement of the existing immigration laws, then this type of illegal behavior would be sharply curtailed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:44 pm 
Dito , we used a 15 " drum with about nine coats of laquer on the floor , when we saw the bag start to glow , it was time to run .. would go off like a napom
bomb , four lanes wide , and the length of the lane ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:40 pm 

A 15" drum sander? I didn't know there was one like that! 12" sanders, yea, used those on gyms but a 15"er. Who makes that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:13 pm 
it was a 12 , been so long .. they were made by American lincon and Clark
I feel so Silly .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:42 am 

And you should! :lol: A 15" floor sander? What you been drinkin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:41 am 
be kind to a old F&*(^ , it felt like a 15 , especially those days we had 2 1/2 open cut on them .. hee hee .. Thank god we had sanders belts that whent around your back with two loops that hooked onto the handles , we did most of the pulling with our legs .. What do you guys use on res ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:26 pm 

Ah yes, a 12"er pulls like a mule. I don't do gyms or shopping centers anymore. Just residential remodels and custom homes. I've been using a Lagler Hummel for many years now. It's an 8" belt sander, light and fast, like a fine german sports car. Those old 12"ers are like an old 54' Oldsmobile 88 with a "rocket" V-8, heavy and powerful. Occassionally, I'll use a 12"er but for me, it's too awkward in a residence.