Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need help matching the floor finish
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:23 pm 
New User

Some time ago I got rid of my large hot water radiators and had HVAC ductwork installed. The previous owner had finished the floors prior to my purchase of the house nine years ago, and I am trying to blend in the hardwood surface that was previously beneath a radiator to match the rest of the floor by staining and coating it with polyurethane. Here are three pics of the stained and polyurethaned floor in which it is evident how my work doesn't quite match the surrounding surface.

http://imgur.com/gallery/EFDfF

I am not looking for perfection, just something a bit better then its current appearance. After two previous attempts, I think I have a good match for the stain, although it may not be apparent from the pics (also ignore the reflection of light in some pics). My guess is that the problem lies with the semi-gloss polyurethane I am using. I am posting with the hope of getting input on the type of poly or technique (or lack, thereof) that may have been used to originally cover the main floor area. I am not sure if the disparity is due to the previous owner having used a particular type of poly, or if its appearance is simply due to aging because nine years have passed since the floor was last finished. Any ideas how to blend these areas better than I've done would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need help matching the floor finish
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:00 pm 
Newbie Contributor

There is no chance you can match it. Just refinish the entire place.

Seriously, or leave it like it is.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need help matching the floor finish
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:31 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Oh, it can get better, but it requires a bunch of fiddling to get there. The problem with an old floor and a new area sanded is that you've taken off some of the "sun tan" the old wood still has, as well as the aged poly on top that has created a tint throughout the floor now.

What you are doing is getting the color right, but the poly is clear, which is why it won't match. The only option you have is to try to tint your poly to get it closer. I would suggest trying some of the colors from Polyshades by Minwax. Won't cost an arm and a leg, and you can get it in small batches to see what works best.

I've use the Pecan version on natural Oak with great results, but your floor looks like you almost need a muddy brown coat over it. Pick up a couple of colors that you thing it needs and try it out on a scrap piece of wood. you might get lucky and not have those spot stick out like a sore thumb.

I've also had success with ambershellac. Though it's not really recommended with polyurethane top coats...but it gets the job done.

Profile E-mail