Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: need help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:03 am 
New User

Hi guys, I need advices please.
so I decided to do the old hardwood floor myself. probably would save only half money than I were to hire professionals. I wasted some money renting square screen machine and realized that was not aggressive enough to sand off scratches and discoloration of the old floor. that's 100 bucks :D Belt sander is the way to go! so I did it with 36, 60, 100.

the important thing is I skipped buffing the floor as I saw some youtube videos skipping that step also. the second thing I skipped which I now regret is the sanding sealer(I went for natural color without stain).

here is my question or problem: after first coat of oil-based polyurethane, it's really rough and I sanded lightly with 220. they are not smooth at all as of now. Should I continue to the 2nd coat or there's remedy for the steps that I skipped. Do I need 3rd coat to make it eventually smooth enough?
I really thought I could save some time by skipping those 2 things(buffing & sanding sealer) since I was doing it all by myself and it's an old floor. thanks in advance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: need help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:02 pm 
Prized Contributor

It always costs double if you skip steps. :wink:

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:15 pm 
Valued Contributor

First coat soaks in and doesn't do much. If you keep adding coats you'll eventually get a good build and a smooth finish. Are you using a good flooring poly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:31 pm 
Prized Contributor

The first coat will raise the grain, fuzz left from the final sanding process. It always will have grain raise. The second coat will be a lot smoother,because the surface is sealed. I think that poly seals the surface well and don't use a sanding sealer. The second coat, when applied with the recommended coverage per quart should make a smooth floor. If you do apply a third coat, I think that you should wait a few days to a week before coating so the previous coats can cure a little. The floor will be ready for furniture and traffic and smell less in a few days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:05 am 
New User

I am using Minwax, dun know if it's good or not but it's most popular from the store. clear gloss. fast drying.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:21 am 
Valued Contributor

uynix wrote:
I am using Minwax, dun know if it's good or not but it's most popular from the store. clear gloss. fast drying.

Are you aware of the look that a gloss finish will give you? Most floors are a semi gloss. If you want a really high end product check out Last N Last polyurethane......it'll be more expensive than Min Wax. If it's labor intensive usually a good idea to use the best materials.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:32 am 
New User

I dun know how looks yet coz I just applied the 2nd last night, I will check today and if I dun like it, for the final coat can I still use semi-gloss last N last?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:54 am 
Valued Contributor

Yes.

Profile E-mail