Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need help with layout of new floor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:25 pm 
New User

Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice on the layout of my new wood floor. I am installing 3/4" solid hickory (got for 4.50 sq ft at Menards after discounts!) which will be nailed to subfloor. My subfloor consists, from what I can tell, from two layers of 3/4 inch plywood (not OSB) and 16" OC joists. Here's my problem, the main door (and much of the rest of my house) is based off 45 degree angles, so I'm not sure what the best way to layout the floor. Most of the foot traffic goes in the front door and to the right, not down the smaller hallway to the left (picture attached). Should I lay the entire floor perpendicular to the joists, as it should be and not worry so much about how the left hallway will look? Should I run down both hallways and harringbone it or something? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not sure why this site says cannot determine picture size, so I'm posting a direct link to the pic.

Thank you in advance!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/CrCWp ... 97-h662-no

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need help with layout of new floor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:21 am 
New User

Justsomedude wrote:
Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice on the layout of my new wood floor. I am installing 3/4" solid hickory (got for 4.50 sq ft at Menards after discounts!) which will be nailed to subfloor. My subfloor consists, from what I can tell, from two layers of 3/4 inch plywood (not OSB) and 16" OC joists. Here's my problem, the main door (and much of the rest of my house) is based off 45 degree angles, so I'm not sure what the best way to layout the floor. Most of the foot traffic goes in the front door and to the right, not down the smaller hallway to the left (picture attached). Should I lay the entire floor perpendicular to the joists, as it should be and not worry so much about how the left hallway will look? Should I run down both hallways and harringbone it or something? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not sure why this site says cannot determine picture size, so I'm posting a direct link to the pic.

Thank you in advance!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/CrCWp ... 97-h662-no

Hello mate,
The link to the image that you posted is not available, could you please reupload it in order to get to know and be able to see what the deal is.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need help with layout of new floor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:56 am 
Prized Contributor

The finish that protects flooring will last longer when the floor is laid with the traffic flow in mind. This is generally the same direction as the longer dimension of the room.

Profile E-mail