Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need input regarding brands/quality
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:42 pm 
New User

I want to replace the carpet in my bedroom with engineered wood that will be floated over concrete. I have looked at so many brands and woods that I'm almost to the point of keeping the carpet.

I have liked two brands so far. Bruce turlington lock and fold and Kahrs sonata or spirit unity lines. I prefer the hickory as I have dogs and want something harder than oak.

What I can't find is any information to tell me where these specific products are made and the comparative quality. How is one to know what is good and what isn't? I don't want to hate my floor 6 months after install and would like to be better informed before the purchase.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Need input regarding brands/quality
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:29 pm 
Valued Contributor

It's hard to know what is truly good or not unless you work with the products . And what I look for is consistent milling . Kahrs and Mirage are two of the best because their milling is very consistent.

The times I installed Bruce products , I found the milling tended to be off but the worst part is that the boxes are not nested well. Instead of consistent nesting of lengths , you get a box of all long lengths and then another box might be all short and medium lengths. This can make racking out the floor a pain in the neck.

In almost all pre finished / engineered floors , you will get what you pay for .

Profile E-mail