Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need moulding supplier in San Francisco Area
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:32 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hello,

I'm looking for a moulding supplier in the Oakland or Berkeley area. . . need something beyond what the local home improvement centers offer. Thought I'd check in with this forum first to see about recommendations.

I'm going to drop by Larsen Bros. in San Leandro and take a gander.

-'Chung

Post subject: Moulding
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:49 am 
Newbie Contributor

Chung,

Try Truit and White on Hearst in Berkeley. There's also McBeaths and Ashby Lumber on Ashby in Berkeley. Dolans Lumber in Rodeo doesn't carry much in the store but they'll order it from their main store in Concord which does. It takes about a day to get there. I use them a lot because they have the Windsor One line of products which I like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:56 am 
Newbie Contributor

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the tips. . . the classic craftsman from Windsor one is exactly what I was looking for. I'll make a trip to Concord to check it out.

-'Chung

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:27 pm 
Newbie Contributor

White Brothers in Oakland is fantastic they have been around this area for a very long time.100 years at least Check it out for yourself I would be willing to bet if they dont have it the will run it for you. You can visit there site just search for white brothers lumber it comes up in first few listed .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:06 am 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks for the tips. . .

I went to Dolans in Concord today, and they had what I needed in stock. . . they carry an impressive stock of Windsor One mouldings. I only needed 3 pieces.

Good to know about them for future project.

-'Chung

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:01 am 
Worthy Contributor

Chunger, ya gotta get us some pics ... we've gone from start to trim on this with ya ... when can we see it????

Did ya get to slide across it in yer fancy wool socks yet???

C'mon, cough up some photos!

:D :D :D

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:26 pm 
Newbie Contributor

OK, fine. . .twist my arm. . .

I've actually not done much in the way of trim yet, but here's the window I've got. It doesn't have a skirt board yet. . . kindof a modified Classic Craftsman from Windsor 1. . . a little bit more rounded, and a bit wider of a headboard (5/4). I just needed the cap piece. Please understand. .. this is my 1st window ever. . . so edges are rough, and I spend a while trying to figure out how to cut the little returns. Plus, I have issues of not being able to nail directly into the framing because of sound isolation needs. . . so it all has to be attatched to the floated metal furring channels/drywall. So some reveals are not standard or proper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:32 pm 
Newbie Contributor

This is what has been occupying my time. . . trapazoid book cases. . . again. . . 1st bookcases I've ever built. . . and well, trapazoid really sucks to build. . .

The connection techniques are archaic, but I think they'll trim out nice. I'm going to clear finish/oil the paint grade birch to match my "paint grade" maple stairs and face trim the cases with maple. .. I'm not done yet though, and it's using up my limited brain capacity trying to figure out my cuts and details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:39 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Next, I need to fill out one side of the room with bookcase up to the ceiling. . . I've got one of those sliding library ladders for that from Craigslist. . .

and on the staircase side, I'm going to connect a climbing wall next to the window bookcase right where the tatami mat is leaning in the picture that shows the stair landing. I'm doing that for alternate loft access. . . odd stuff. . . I'm weird that way. But I'm having a blast. But, I'm cleaning now because massive amounts of guests are coming this weekend, and I'm so hurting for usable space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:33 pm 
Newbie Contributor

[quote="chunger"]The connection techniques are archaic, but I think they'll trim out nice. Glue . The nail only holds it until the glue dries is something I was told long ago. True or not sometimes but as long as its glued I usually feel pretty ok with it. On the real things look nice looks like someone cares. Have a good one

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:17 am 
Newbie Contributor

I used screws and glue on everything. . . I may try routering out rabbits or slots for the shelves on the next cases or try a plate jointer. . . these were kindof weird because they had to fit into the windows.