Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: need stair nosing for 8ft stair
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:16 am 
New User

Had water damage in my kitchen and had to have my solid oak floors replaced by insurance. They installed a Bruce solid oak 3" strip floor and ordered me a stair nose piece too small for my grand entry into the kitchen a step of 8ft. They were going to piece two strips of the nosing together to get the right length and I told them to stop because I felt it would look bad to have it pieced together in a entry way that truly is a focal point of the house. How do I get a new nosing strip that is the proper length? Bruce floors does not carry that size so I realize the piece we find will most likely need to be stained and finished to compliment the floor installed. The floor layers want to use the old nosing that is at a lower level than the new floor (ten years old with wear). I think that looks bad too and will cause damage to the floor piece of the new floor that is sticking up just enough to catch your foot as you enter the kitchen. What do I do? I can't seem to find an 8ft stair nosing piece anywhere and I really don't think the flooring Company is really trying to hard to find one.
Thanks in advance.
K

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:44 am 
Valued Contributor

Your choice is between making your own to match or scarfing the pre-finished pieces.

If the prefinished stuff is pretty uniform,you can make a good scarf joint provided you have an ample saw. A better way would be to go ahead and buy long,unfinished stuff and sand it down to meet the height of the rest.

I suppose you could saw off the groove and mill it to meet the existing too. That would require more tools,though.

Your situation is hardly a bad one. Easy peezy,either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:49 am 
Prized Contributor

Someone will make it for you, all you have to have is cash.

I remember in the old days, 8' 2" was common trim length. Now it is 6' and some change.