Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need to top Streetshoe
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:41 pm 
New User

I did a lot of research in October about the best finish to fit my needs. I used two coats of sealer and two coats of Streetshoe 275 with the catalyst. My two boxers are denting the red oak floors and basically marking up the finish. It is however elastic enough to no be scratched to the stain.

I have another room that was finished with oil some years ago. While its not seeing the same use, the oil seems thicker and resistant to their paws. I think I need to put an additional layer down, do I just screen, clean, and apply, or should I start from scratch using oil instead? And does a thicker coat of oil actually prevent the dents?II realize that the hardness of the wood is always constant.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Need to top Streetshoe
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:25 pm 
Prized Contributor

a boxer and wood floors do not mix. Its when the dogs play or try to get traction when the claws come out and the real damage is done. Another coat probably wouldnt hurt, keep the dogs nail trimmed as much as possible and take them outside to play. you clean,screen then clean again then apply you finish.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:58 pm 
New User

Thanks for the reply. So the oil isn't any better? I've obsessively kept on top of the nails and bought an area rug for play. You are right about them digging in when they try to get going. Another question, after the screen will the top coat fill and level the dents?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:29 pm 
Valued Contributor

Yaemish wrote:
Thanks for the reply. So the oil isn't any better? I've obsessively kept on top of the nails and bought an area rug for play. You are right about them digging in when they try to get going. Another question, after the screen will the top coat fill and level the dents?

The finish probably wont fill the scratches. It isn't really designed to do that . But it will help protect the floor and will delay needing to re sand.

As for oil, manufacturers like Lenmar,Fabulon ,Last n Last all make great oils but none of them are as hard as street shoe. The down side is that most contractors put oil on thicker than they do water base . Many water base finishes can't be laid on the floor very heavy or they have problems. The only water based urethane out there that can be laid on very heavy is Bona Traffic. You can apply it with the Bona roller and lay on a tremendous amount of finish . It can be spread between 350 - 400 sq feet per gallon and it will level out perfectly where most every other water urethane will bubble and pool up

Profile E-mail