Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: New Construction, crackling noise, slight movement of planks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:21 am 
New User

2 months after we moved into our new home, the wood floors began to pop. Also, the carpeted floors began to make popping sound. After getting a lawyer to get the builder to act, we discovered that the OSB board had been wet during construction and that the carpenter did not glue or space the nails like as required per installation instructions. The builder had a different carpenter to come in go in the crawlspace and attach 2 X 2 boards to each joist, with glue. This helped. He also had to pull up all the carpet and screw the edge gold weysenhaur osb board down. This helped about 75%. After walking on the floors for a year, and enduring humidity temperature changes, the popping is coming back. We have called the builder back, but I don't forsee much help since we have lived here a year and 9 months. Any suggestions as to what to do next would be nice. We have been told that the builder fulfilled his responsibility and we would not be successful in court.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:03 am 
Valued Contributor

mysqueakingfloors wrote:
2 months after we moved into our new home, the wood floors began to pop. Also, the carpeted floors began to make popping sound. After getting a lawyer to get the builder to act, we discovered that the OSB board had been wet during construction and that the carpenter did not glue or space the nails like as required per installation instructions. The builder had a different carpenter to come in go in the crawlspace and attach 2 X 2 boards to each joist, with glue. This helped. He also had to pull up all the carpet and screw the edge gold weysenhaur osb board down. This helped about 75%. After walking on the floors for a year, and enduring humidity temperature changes, the popping is coming back. We have called the builder back, but I don't forsee much help since we have lived here a year and 9 months. Any suggestions as to what to do next would be nice. We have been told that the builder fulfilled his responsibility and we would not be successful in court.

Who told you that the builder fulfilled his responsibility and you would not be successful in court?
I would contact the Consumer Protection Division of your State Attorney General's Office.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:29 pm 
New User

I am in same mess. My builder provided my occupancy certificate to move in to the house in end of February of this year when there were tons of incomplete items. On day 0 of my moving in, I noticed loud crackling noise from the subfloor on second floor which is all carpeted, it sounded like train. On the main floor, which was mostly hardwood, the hardwood floor looked uneven, i can feel the grooves, and it snaps and pops

I contacted the builder right away, who told me to put it down on a 30 day list which in Canada is submitted to Tarion Warranty. After 30 days, they sent a technician to check the floors, who started making excuses and tried to sound it like it is perfectly normal for wood to make that sound but at the same time said the sub-floor looked dried out after he had ripped off the carpet and then started with excuses that it is not a million dollar home ( i paid close to 700K). Anyways, I went back to builder and asked them to resolve the issue and today they had resent the same technician who today screwed down half of the master bedroom after ripping off the carpet. Screwing it down didn't help at all, the same loud crackle noise can be heard.

It seems to me the only option left for me is to invoke my right to seek justice the in court of law but then that can be very expensive as well. So I am considering, gathering all evidences and Self representing myself in the court. I wish the builders could be held criminally responsible for their neglect, and workmanship which causes families great expense, stress and inconveniences.

Here is the crackling audio/video of the second floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKKphNLxMYQ.

Profile E-mail