Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Fangled Finishes--Aluminum Oxide & Their Relatives
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

I'll tell you guys and gals the manufacturers sure have the consumer hooked. We get many calls on the subject. Just curious as to what your take is on the subject? I try to appease folks by informing them not to make a decision on finish only...or the warranties

Sure aluminum oxide finishes are tough but they aren't going to prevent scratching or dings and dents. Seems like most of the manufacturers place the aluminum oxide somewhere in the middle of the finishing process thesdays because these floors can't be screened and coated like older traditional prefinished hardwoods and site finished ones.

Comments?

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:38 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Good question, I'll ask around today, its last day of the expo. Some of these exhibitors don't care to hear tough questions though....
As for coating aluminum oxides, isn't that why they developed the chemical bonding systems, such as Tykote? All things considered, wax, oils, unknown finishes, it almost doesn't make sense not to use the chemical system for peice of mind.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:18 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Ok, back from todays show. I asked a few manufacturers to talk about finish. There has been advances made in aluminum oxides and they are different than they were five years ago. When they first hit the scene they were more metal based(thats from memory). Today they are all ceramic based. They are not quite as 'hard' but they are also not as brittle and they can all be screened and coated.

Some manufacturers, like you said, are putting the oxide under polyurethane. I didn't get to talk to any of them, but another company alluded to some people preferring a glass smooth finish. This is the primary reason for a different topcoat because the aluminum oxide has a granulated, rougher surface. One manufacturer did mention that pepole need to remember that no clear coating is going to protect the material from dents.

Hope that helps, I'm off to the beach. I have some very interesting information on the multi-plyengineered controversies if anybody wants to hear it later.

Aloha

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:43 pm 
Valued Contributor

I would love to hear the about the problems with engineered products. The soft cores are leaving much to be desired, as far as I can tell.
Tell us more, please.
Ray