Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New floating floor install of Hardwood engineered has gaps
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:31 pm 
New User

Hello,

I've searched through the forum and found some answers to my questions but still have a few questions that I need help on.

I had a hardwood engineered floor installed about 3 months ago over a concrete slap. The installer did a floating floor installation and we have had several problems with it. The main issues are there are gaps between the boards throughout the installation, that measure around an 1/8 of an inch, you can fit dimes in the gaps. The installer has come out a couple of times and filled in some of the gaps with some type of caulking filler. Is this OK and are the gaps going to be a problem.

What do you experts recommend I do. I was thinking about hiring an independent floor inspector, but she wants $500 for a report. I don't want to go through that if all they will do is fill the rest of the gaps.

Can you please provide me with some advice.

Thanks

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:23 pm 
Prized Contributor

$500 for a report is cheap, to save your floor, and you get to get that fee back from the responsible individual that caused you to have the inspection done. How much did you pay for the flooring and installation???? $500 is nothing, if your out $4000.

Gaps in a floating floor are bad ju-ju!!! No compression in the T&G and that will be a weak bonded joint. Have you ever seen a Master Craftsman NOT clamp a glued project together? Well, the installers that hacked your floor in, were not Master Craftsmen!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:17 pm 
New User

Thanks for your reply. We actually paid over 10K for the floor and installation, I just wasn't sure if their method of fixing the gaps was appropriate. And seeing the guys install the floor over the four days of installation, I don't remember seeing to many clamps.

Thanks