Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New floor sqeaks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:44 pm 
New User

Thanks for the help of this forum, the information you post has been very helpful for me. I installed 1000 sq ft of Brazillian Rosewood (7/16 by 2 5/8) a few weeks ago. I have noticed a few spots within the house when I step on make some squeaking noises. I spent some time and discovered the noise originates from the 15# roofing felts.

I believed I put down more than adequate of staples (between 6 and 8 inches) on the wood, but not as much on the roofing felts. In some areas, the roofing felts do not stick down to the plywood due to not having adequate staples. As I step on, the pressure applies onto the paper which, in turn, vibrates and creates noises. Subfloor is 3/4 plywood over concrete.

I am not sure because of the 7/16 Rosewood not as heavy as the 3/4 or I should have used the rosin paper instead of the asphalt felts? I thought at first because it's new and therefore it requires some time to "settle" down but after a few weeks it still makes noise!

Has anybody run into this problem? If so, how do you cure it?

Thanks again.

Vincent

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

I think the key here may be:

what type of fasteners did you use?

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:46 pm 
Prized Contributor

If you have noise, the fasteners are not fully seated holding the board tight, or the flatness of the subfloor was not sufficient to keep the flooring from not sucking down tight to the subfloor. A high / low spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:39 pm 
New User

I've done 'everything' according to the 'book'.

I used the equipment recommended by the manufacturer, BR111:
1) HighPRO AS-4090 designed specifically to 7/16" solid wood flooring.
2) 1 1/4" glue-coated staples.

The staples and the pneumatic gun was bought directly from the manufacturer.

The area where it's making noise: I am confident it's quite level. As I remember I laid that section of asphalt felt a day before because I coudn't finish within that day. So the paper might have shrunk and/or expanded somehow because the next day it wan't lying straight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:01 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Are the squeaks near the end joints or out in the field. How close the the ends did you place the fasteners? Also, I'm not in the habit of stapling down the felt, and I gotta think that may be part of your problem. "Felts" will not cause popping noises. Period. Improper installation, misuse of tools, wrong air pressure, etc., will, and can. You should call an inspector, and have him give you a detailed report. Odds are, it wil be "installer related". Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:46 pm 
Valued Contributor

Let us not be so quick to jump the installer. It could be a milling issue. It is a common cause of floor noise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:45 am 
Worthy Contributor

i'm not jumping quick, I've had one job where the whole floor creaked, due to bad milling. An occasional end joint makes noise.
But it does get to me when people start out by saying, I've done it all by the book. You have to admit, they usually haven't. I apologize to you Vincent, if you have, and it is the floor. It's late, I'm cranky, and I'm sending myself to bed.