Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New guy here
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:03 am 
New User

Hi, I stumbled on this site while researching info on installing hardwood, and found a lot of good information.

I'm a tile guy, but I have done some hardwood a couple of times. Another client who called me for some tile installation asked me if I did hardwood also. I told him that I had done some, but that I didn't do it as a rule, and that he could probably do it himself (he seems smart enough, and had done some glue down in another part of the house which looked good). He doesn't want to. Soooo....... I told him I would think about it. I have decided that if he wants me to, I will.

I have been doing some "homework" and have found a lot of good info here. I also have a Bruce installers manual that I got years ago.

Any advice anyone can give me is welcome. This isn't a large job; one room just under 400SF, basically rectangular. He has OSB down for the subfloor, if I remember correctly. This sound like staples, from what I have read here so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:09 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Advice? Read the instructions that come with the flooring. Most manufacturers have fairly detailed installation instructions. If one was to follow them to the letter, you'd be pretty safe. The problems begin when no one reads the instructions and THINK they know what to do.

Post subject: Thanks Gary
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:35 am 
New User

Thanks. I most definitely will read and follow instructions; but I know that as with any trade, people learn a few tricks along the way that you don't always find in the books.

Thanks for your response though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:36 am 
Prized Contributor

What is under the OSB??

He glued down some in another part of the home? Was that over concrete?

Prep, substrate flatness and proper acclimation, Are the keys to a successfull and lasting installation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:48 am 
New User

Floorguy wrote:
What is under the OSB??

He glued down some in another part of the home? Was that over concrete?

Prep, substrate flatness and proper acclimation, Are the keys to a successfull and lasting installation.

I dunno what his subfloor was in the other part of the house; I assume it was plywood. He had done it some years before. The flooring was plywood strip (3/8"?).

In the new section, he wants the 3/4" solid oak.

I didn't get the job. He gave it to a "friend" who also does tile (and hardwood) who under bid me by $300, he says. Don't know why he called me in the first place if he had a "friend" that does it! Bahhhhhh! People!

I'm deleting this user name (if possible) as I finally got my original user name set up: Kinsman Tile Guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:09 am 

He wanted to make sure his friend was giving him a deal, that's why he asked you for a price. So typical. Some folks are not happy until they know they have paid the very lowest possible price for anything. It's the "Priceline" mentality we live in today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:36 am 
New User

Gary wrote:
He wanted to make sure his friend was giving him a deal, that's why he asked you for a price. So typical. Some folks are not happy until they know they have paid the very lowest possible price for anything. It's the "Priceline" mentality we live in today.

Over on one of the tile forums a couple of years ago, a lady from Florida who is in the tile business offered the following:

I can give you two out of three things, you can't have all three:

1) Price
2) Quality
3) Service

I can offer you the best quality and the best service, but you may not like the price.

I can offer you the lowest price and the best service, but you might not be happy with the quality.

I can offer you the best price, and the best quality, but I won't show up to do the job (no service).

Most people want all three. Few realize that at the lowest price, they have to give up something else.

We'd like to respond one day with, "Oh, you wanted the 'handyman' job", but we haven't tried that yet!

Bill Otis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:37 am 

I saw a similar thing in a car repair shop. The sign read:

Fast, Cheap and Good.
You can have two out of the three.
Fast and cheap but it won't be good.
Fast and good but it won't be cheap.
Cheap and good but it won't be fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:21 am