Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new hardwood floors don't seem so hard
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:30 pm 
New User

I have newly installed hardwood floors throughout my house. I went with a pre-varnished (Mercier brand) natural maple hardwood. I put the boxes in my house when I bought them, opened the ends and let them sit for about 3 weeks. They were installed by a professional. I went to extreme caution to always keep the newly installed floor covered at all times as the installation continued. Now that I have finished my renovations, I am disappointed that the floors scratch so easily. The other day I slid a chair up to my table and heard a big scratch sound (all my chairs are felted). I am afraid to slide anything now (even though I have felted everything) or even roll my vacuum cleaner on its wheels. I already have scratches, dings and dents everywhere in my house and I have barely begun to enjoy my new floors.

Is this just the new normal that I will have to get used to, or did I buy defective floor boards?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:23 pm 
Prized Contributor

It ain't furniture.

Wood scratches and dents... ALL WOOD.

Felted chair legs "slid a chair up to my table and heard a big scratch sound"

If it was felted properly it would not have scratch and you surely would not have heard it.

Are you sure you didn't have laminate in mind, when you made the choice of wood??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:24 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Watch those felt pieces you stick to the bottoms of your furniture. About once a month I have to replace them with new felt. little pieces of hair, dirt, sand etc. adhere to the felt and all of this can scratch the floor as badly as if there was no felt on it to begin with.