Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New To Hardwood Floors... Few ?s
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:18 pm 
New User

Hi everyone and sorry if I seem like a total newb but I am so please excuse any stupid questions but I'm the paranoid type especially with this kind of stuff. Long story short I installed a B.E.A....UTIFUL Earthwerks Acacia engineered hardwood floor but I am getting several conflicting things about how to finish up the cleanup. I live in west Tx have a pier and beam house and this is my first ever hardwood floor. The installation went well and the floor is amazing but during the install we did get some "smudges" on some boards from our fingers after working with the bostick urethane adhesive that was recommended to me. We were instructed to use mineral spirits OR an adhesive remover... well I just happened to have some Min Spirits sitting in the garage so we dampened a white rag ( did not soak just damp with the MS) and cleaned as we went but apparently missed some spots. My questions are these...

1. How dangerous is it to attempt to remove these last few smudges using the MS gently and will it ruin the floors? leave a film? anything else?

2. How durable are these floors and their finishes in general? Like I said ive been told its a great floor and I can use the MS without much risk as long as we are gentle and not rubbing our way to china... and that we needed to clean the floor after the MS usage.

.... again im very sorry if these questions are stupid but I have followed as closely as I could the instructions from the manufacturer that came with the wood, the instructions on the adhesive containers themselves, and the instructions from the install technicians themselves from the flooring company that I purchased from. All of them seemed to be ok with the way we did things but I would really like to get these smudges off ( no globs of glue or streaks or anything just from use connecting boards) before i move all of my furniture and things back in.... ANY advice for a total newbie to these floors would be greatly appreciated. I will attempt to post some pictures of the install when i get them off my phone. Thank you in advance and I appreciate you reading!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: New To Hardwood Floors... Few ?s
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:25 pm 
New User

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:18 pm 
Prized Contributor

Some hardwood floor glues have isocyanates in them to help them dry,which can etch finishes. If you missed some spots and the finish got dull after you cleaned it, the dullness will not go away by itself. You may find that the finish will polish again with normal traffic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:12 pm 
Prized Contributor

Nice job buddy.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail