Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New home construction, timing of hardwood floor installation
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:25 pm 
I am in the process of having a new home built. I have opted to install the flooring myself, and am trying determine when to install the 3/4 in strip solid hardwood floors. The hardwood will be in the kitchen, dining room, and entry way, and will be installed on plywood subfloor over a poured basement. The superintendant would like me to install the floor after the drywall is in and painted, but before the kitchen cabinets are installed and before the interior trim work is done (baseboards and interior doors). I am concerned about the moisture levels if I install the hardwood floors because I will not be able to climate control the house. What is the best way to proceed? Do I lay out the wood so that the floor can match the moisture levels of the plywood subfloor, or do insist that the heating and cooling be installed and turned on before istallation? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:18 pm 
Valued Contributor

You are likely to hear nothing but worst case scenarioes on boards such as this one. That is not a bad thing. I would wait until everything else is done and then install the material.

That is no panacea,though. You still might have a wet house with wet decking weeks after the hvac is on.

If a house is dried in AND it reads around 10 percent,AND the grading is correct,I will install strip in small to medium sized areas.

Many folks more brave(or stupid)than me do great big jobs in houses that are bareley dried in.Most of the time,they come off without a hitch. I don't have the capital reserves that might allow me to take such gambles.(I can always install carpet instead.hoho)

Were I in your shoes,I would do it as a last stage sort of deal. Strip goes in very early in the construction process in many areas of the country. There is no great,compelling reason to do it that way. It is more a matter of industry habit than efficiency.

Best of luck,
Chuck.

Post subject: Good Subject!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
but before the kitchen cabinets are installed and before the interior trim work is done

Aside of what Chuck mentions, I've seen it happen far too many times.

New floor gets damaged. Has to be refinished before someone moves in

I've heard it too. BUILDERS: "Ah we'll cover them(the floors) up so they're protected" Well that's all fine and dandy, but who will be around to do daily cleanup? All it takes is a sloppy trim carpenter or electrician that drops screws as he goes and they find their way under that protective stuff" get walked on, move around and walla--OKAY it's time to take that protective stuff up. Bamn--the floor is ruined.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:40 pm 
Valued Contributor

"Everything" includes the cabinets. It is a pain,but it is better than installing too early. If you know how to install,it is not a bar to making a sound installation.