Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Home Wood Floor Problem
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:48 pm 
New User

Hello,

We are just about to move into a brand new constructed house. The one problem that we have just recently found is in our dining room which is hardwood. We have Brazilian Cherry wood with a square design of Maple (2 planks wide). There is a one and a half foot threshold of cherry from the edges of the wall to the maple. Overall, the floor looks great. Except for where the wood joins our limestone tile at the entranceway.

At first glance, I thought the wood was just warped by water damage. After pointing it out to the contractor, he explained that there will always be imperfections where wood joins the limestone. This is due to a half an inch variance on the height after the dura rock subfloor is put in under the limestone tiles. I think I understand the process but after one attempt to smooth it out, it still appears to be uneven and wavy. He explained that the level part of the wood floor is sanded via machine but the threshhold is hand sanded so it will never be perfect. At this point, he is claiming that he has done all that he can do and we are very unhappy with it.

Does anyone have any experience with tongue and groove butting up to a limestone tile and does his explanation make sense? We have already caught him lying about other items and this is an area that I really have little experience with. Help!!! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:28 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I am not really sure I understand your question. What exactly is the problem? Is it the height difference between the threshold and the limestone or is the threshold warped. Do you have a picture you could post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:52 pm 
New User

tada124 wrote:
I am not really sure I understand your question. What exactly is the problem? Is it the height difference between the threshold and the limestone or is the threshold warped. Do you have a picture you could post?

From what I am being told, the height difference is causing the warping of the "threshold". Take a look at this picture and see if this helps explain it. Thanks!

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:03 pm 
Prized Contributor

Whoa! I'd be complaining, too!!

That is unacceptable in my book!

Where is the transition molding, so the proper expansion space is suppose to be for both the tile and the solid wood flooring?? That's a failure waiting to happen in itself

You don't ramp wood flooring, if that is what they tried to do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:15 pm 
New User

Floorguy wrote:
Whoa! I'd be complaining, too!!

That is unacceptable in my book!

Where is the transition molding, so the proper expansion space is suppose to be for both the tile and the solid wood flooring?? That's a failure waiting to happen in itself

You don't ramp wood flooring, if that is what they tried to do!

The Whoa! does not sound good. In your opinion, is it possible to do a ramp or just completely insane?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:57 am 
Prized Contributor

You are being fed a line there Dee. I hate to tell you this, but that whole installation needs work going by your picture. Are they telling you this floor is all finished and ready to hand over to you?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:25 am 
Newbie Contributor

Definitely unacceptable. Does the rest of the floor look like that? Post a few more pictures of different areas of the floor. The lack of expansion space could be a bigger problem than you think especially if the majority of the flooring is tight in multiple places around the perimeter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:57 am 
New User

Jerry wrote:
You are being fed a line there Dee. I hate to tell you this, but that whole installation needs work going by your picture. Are they telling you this floor is all finished and ready to hand over to you?

Yes. The builder has had them in once to "work it" but he is now saying they are done and there is nothing else that can be done. We are trying to get another floor company in to take a look at it but I am supposed to be moving in in 5 days!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:57 am 
New User

tada124 wrote:
Definitely unacceptable. Does the rest of the floor look like that? Post a few more pictures of different areas of the floor. The lack of expansion space could be a bigger problem than you think especially if the majority of the flooring is tight in multiple places around the perimeter.

The rest of the floor is beautiful. It looks like glass. I will work on a photo later. Thanks for the Help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:26 pm 
New User

As a follow-up, we contracted with an independant inspector from the HWFA. For roughly $350 dollars, a NWFA inspector came out and gave us a full report. The report was then handed over to our general contractor who in turn handed it over to the original wood floor subcontractor.

Bottom line is that they sanded and refinished the floor to our satisfaction. Much better. Still a little disappointed with the entryways that join up to the limestone tiling but this builder does not use threshholds and prefers ramping. Double edge sword I guess.

The last concern is that the floor was not re-stained. Being Brazilian Cherry, I have been told that the darkness will come back with exposure to the sun over time. Is this another line or is this valid?

Thanks again for all your help on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:04 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
Being Brazilian Cherry, I have been told that the darkness will come back with exposure to the sun over time.

Yes, this is true. If they used certain watebased finishes with UV blockers, it may take a bit longer. Be patient! BTW, I work for a builder who also hates transition strips and thresholds. I am able to accomodate his desires with judicious use of colored latex caulking when butting to tile and stone. I allow approx. a 1/4" "grout" joint when butting wood to tile.