Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new house with new (& scratched) hardwood floors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:55 pm 
New User

Just had a new house built. We had alum oxide hardwood floors installed throughout and were concerned when they didn't protect them from traffic from the other workmen that would still be working in the house.
Well, now it turns out that we've got some pretty good scratches in our nice new floors from random nails, baseboard radiators, etc. and my wife is freaked...well so am I.

They have now, at our request, covered the floors with protection (too little too late).

My question is, can these scratches be touched up? In some places, they go right down to the bare wood. Is there some sort of a touch up kit?
What is this aluminum oxide coating? Is it a 2 part epoxy? Is it just some hi tech polyurethane?

Thanks.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:03 pm 
Prized Contributor

Have them replace sections of the flooring to fix the scratching. If it is everywhere, have them replace the entire floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:54 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

This is why we like to be the last sub-contractor on site so this doesnt happen. It could possibly be screened and recoated to get rid of the scratches. Agian flooring last on any new construction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:16 pm 
New User

Hi cerscott1,

What do you mean by "screened"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:21 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

It is the responsibility of the general contractor to schedule the different trades at the proper time. It's also the responsibility of the flooring contractor to at least advise the customer that the floors should be installed last, just before baseboards. If the only thing to be done was baseboards and radiant heaters, then those workers were quite careless. Man, I do hardwood as a profession and can easily install baseboards without damaging the flooring. I'm not sure who's to blame. You say "they". Who is "they"? The general contractor, the other subs, the flooring contractor? Who did you ask to protect the floors? The only one I see liable is the general contractor. If you were acting as the general contractor, then it would be your responsibility unless your contract with the flooring company specified they protect the flooring after completion. As for repairs, probably the easiest is a recoat with Bona Traffic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:23 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... screen.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:33 pm 
New User

Hi Gary,
As you'd recommend, the floors were installed just before baseboards. The "they" that I refer to is the plumber, finish carpenters, etc. The general contractor, (not me) coordinated this. After the floors were installed my wife and I were surprised to see them left exposed, but we figured that they knew what they were doing (famous last words). After we noticed that they were indeed getting scratched we asked the GC to get them protected which he immediately did.

He seems to have the attitude that these things happen and he'll do what ever is necessary to fix them to our satisfaction and I know that he will....it just seems like a definite case of a "an ounce of prevention..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:43 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Yes, it does happen, all the time. I recall finishing a prefinished install. The general strolls in and asks me to help him install the refrigerator. I asked where the dolly and plywood was to protect the floors I just laid. He says we'll just roll it in and use cardboard to protect the floors. I told him that would not work but he's a know it all and done it all and insists he'll take responsibility. Well, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to teach Mr. Know it all a lesson so I agreed to help him. We roll the refer in and set it on the cardboard and he spins it around and we roll it into place. I pick up the cardboard and low and behold, dents, scratches and tracks in the one hour old wood floor. He has a sorta surprized look on his face and I just smiled and didn't say a word. He then says," Well, we don't need to tell the homeowner. It doesn't look that bad. Besides, it's gonna happen sooner or later." I just shook my head and said see ya later. Now, how would you have liked to have hired this guy as your general contractor? The point being, it ain't their house and they don't care. If you ask them to do something to protect it, they act like you're asking the moon. It all could have been avoided with minimal care and fuss. I hope there won't be a battle over who pays for the repairs. The general is to blame, IMO.