Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Install Johnson Hardwood China Maple - GAPS!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:45 pm 
New User

We just had a hardwood floor installed beginning in late October. They only allowed it to sit stacked on itself for about 46 hrs. Within a couple of weeks we have gaps between the maple boards. The store is talking to their Johnson rep who is saying it is just normal wood expansion and contraction. We have seen other floors and this doesn't seem to be a problem. I think they didn't let it acclimate long enough. What do we say to them? What options do we have? What type of floor would you recommend as a replacement? We want a light creme/white with low gloss. Do you recommend Mirage, Bruce, Hartco??? Have you heard of Johnsons?? Thanks, Kim

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:58 pm 
Prized Contributor

I recommend you wait till the summer months to see if the gaps are still there. If they are still there come October, then I would say lack of acclimation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:32 am 
Valued Contributor

Perry is correct, depending on size of gaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:44 am 
Prized Contributor

Check the rh in the home it's most likely a little low this time of year, get a humidifier set it on 45% and see if that helps before you go tearing out and repalcing.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:20 am 
Prized Contributor

Exactly!

Your heating your home right now in these colder months. The heater is pulling the moisture out of the atmosphere inside your home. moisture effects wood since it is hygroscopic. It swells with a gain in moisture, and shrinks when it is taken away. You just happen to have installed a species of wood that reacts to moisture more then other species. Maple is known to shrink & swell a lot.

I agree, get a humidifier going, and crank it up. You need to get some moisture back into the maple. It will swell and the gaps will decrease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:36 am 
New User

Thanks for your helpful information. Our problem is that the heater was running when it was installed - the environment hasn't changed. Also, we live in rainy Seattle where this time of the year water in the air is a given. I could understand if it was installed without heat then heat was added, but I don't understand why if the environment didn't change, why would there be such large gapping?

Also, have you ever heard of Johnsons???

Thanks,
Kim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:19 pm 
Prized Contributor

Johnson is top shelf.

You would be really surprised how much maple moves!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:52 am 
Worthy Contributor

46 hrs still not long enough. Ask him to show you his written and recorded moisture test results from the day he installed. Should have shown 4 point varience OR LESS (recommend less but if 4points holds after 10 day acclimation we roll) between the subfloor and the wood. Is there a heated space below the floor? Was there a moisture barier used? Glued or Nailed? Maple is pretty picky stuff and moves some but much CAN be controlled. All the rest of these posts very valid as well. BUT remember if you do get a humidifier, don't turn it up like it's your favorite song! Adjust the humidity slowly using up to ten days to bring the humidity up to the desired amount or else you could create new issues. Some of us need to be a little more responsible with advice so not to buckle a floor ... just my humble opinion.

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail