Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Iroko Hardwood Floor with Dents
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:42 pm 
New User

I have a client who just completed installation of an Iroko hardwood floor in the master bedroom of her 2nd home 120 miles away. She chose the floor and arranged for its installation, but asked that I send the painter immediately following the floor installation so that all work would be completed while she was on vacation. The painter covered the floor with several layers of 3 mil plastic and a layer of paper. He wrapped the legs of his ladder in cotton padding & proceeded to paint her 14' walls & ceiling. When finished he uncovered the floor to find it was spotless, but covered with dents from the legs of the ladder. The client has not returned home yet, and I've spoken with the installer who tells me this is normal and when she walks on the floor with her high heels the dimpled look will only be enhanced. I believe that he should have told her in advance that the floor would be prone to these impressions, especially from a ladder, and he should have told her to let us paint prior to his installation. Yes, I know wood dents, but would a different species have been less susceptible? She has oak floors in her home here and they don't have a dent in them - even after several paintings & lots of parties

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:15 pm 
Valued Contributor

Questions:
1. Were you there to see the painting performed?
2. Did you witness the floor covered?
3. Have you seen this ladder?
4. Who helped him paint?

You can put some water on the dents and see if they swell.
One trick posted on this message board was using a low heat steam iron on a damp towel on the dents???

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that species to make a comment as to hardness.

Thank you for posting your question at Hardwood Installer.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:49 pm 
Prized Contributor

From the NWFA jobsite checklist...

All wet trades must be finished prior to acclimation of new flooring. Latex paint, has lots of moisture in it, and can raise the interiors humidity levels considerably for a day or two, longer if there is no air movement, and the ability to remove the added humidity.

Has nothing to do with the dents, but I agree, the painting should have been done prior to the wood installation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:08 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I am triing to figure out why she is your client? Iroko is a bit softer than red oak, just a bit. What is the deal with multi layers of plastic and paper and cotton? Guy looking to get off work with an injury? I would be ticked if it was my new floor with a dimpled look.

Did you see the ladder and the floor coverings as asked before? Do you really beleive your floor installer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:16 am 
New User

Thanks for responding. In answer to your questions:
1. I'm a Gen'l Contractor and have successfully completed a lot of different jobs for this client, including large room additions, etc.

2. She likes the painter I use - he's worked with me for years and has done a lot of painting at her home here. This home has oak flooring and none of the floors have impressions from shoes, ladders or anything else.

3. I did not go to the other house because I was completing a different project at the home here. The housekeeper was already complaining about 2 marks on the new floor before the painter arrived. The painter called to tell me and I spoke with the housekeeper, then called the installer. The installer went to the house the 2nd day and saw the painter had covered the floor with multi-layers and also commented about the wrapped legs on the ladder. The painter wraps the ladder legs on every job with cotton paint rags usually covered by rubberized shelving material for traction - he's had one bad fall a few years ago and has wrapped the legs ever since.

When the installer went to the house he told the painter not to uncover the floor at that time, instead he'd come back and look at the two marks (the housekeeper complained about) after the painter was finished and the floor was uncovered. I spoke with him on the phone while he was there. Had he told me then that the new wood floor was more susceptible to impressions, I would have had the painter cover it with plywood before continuing any further.

I'm not familiar with Ikora and I'm willing to bet that my client (who I think is in high heels from the moment she opens her eyes in the morning) has no idea this African hardwood is not hard. I've asked some other contractors and designers and no one has had a wood floor that was so easily dented. I trust my painter. I've never met the installer, but he sounds competent on the phone.

If we used a wet cloth and tried to steam the dents a little as someone suggested, wouldn't that dull the finish on the floor?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:08 am 
Prized Contributor

If this flooring is factory finished , steaming will have no effect on it. It can work to some extent with unfinished wood. If its prefinished ...board replacement is the only option I can see.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:59 am 
Valued Contributor

I'm not familiar with Ikora and I'm willing to bet that my client (who I think is in high heels from the moment she opens her eyes in the morning) has no idea this African hardwood is not hard. I've asked some other contractors and designers and no one has had a wood floor that was so easily dented. I trust my painter. I've never met the installer, but he sounds competent on the phone.

If we used a wet cloth and tried to steam the dents a little as someone suggested, wouldn't that dull the finish on the floor?

Thanks for your suggestions.[/quote]
------------------------------------------------------------------

Those spiked heels with dent anything and is one of the major reasons I make a living as an inspector... I love women in those spiked high heels !!