Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Oak floor buckling-- Help
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:15 pm 
New User

Hi,
Does anyone have any advice on what we can do?

I should start by saying that im from the UK where wood floors are generally new to the UK and not much is known about installation or the remedy of problems.

We have recently had Oak flooring plank width 5 inches laid in our downstairs. The original floor is concrete. A self levelling compound was first laid to even the floor out. This was left for 3 weeks, then the oak was laid over a silicone/latex glue and glued to the floor. The wood had been in our house for 8 weeks before being laid. Expansion gaps were left all around the edges.

The wood has been down for approx 1 month but in one area has risen off the floor and is now a hump stetching down the planks.
Ive read that humidity may cause this and the humidity control is currently showing from 50% to 65% we have a dehumidifier running to reduce this.

1st off we dont know why the wood has risen as it had plenty of time to aclimitise, would the latex glue substance prevent moisture coming through from the concrete floor?

2nd - How can we correct the problem? do we wait until the autumn and see if the cooler weather reduces it or should we somehow try and repair it now. If we do try and repair it, how?

The installer has come back and taken a look and basically said that the fitting is correct and is blaming the quality of the wood, however the wood was bought from a wood department store and they are stating it was the fitter we employed(they do not have their own fitters) Therefore neither are claiming responsibility.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:42 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

You mentioned you're from the UK. Is that where you are now? Is this where the floor was installed? If so. things are done differently there then here but many of the same principles are involved. When installing a SOLID (non engineered) wood floor over concrete, a moisture barrier system needs to be employed. The adhesive is not a moisture barrier, especially if it was a latex adhesive. Also, here in the USA (some over there still like to call it the colonies), we use a moisture meter to determine the moisture content of the substrate before we install a wood floor. If it is too high, extra precautions are needed to accomodate the moisture. I suspect that it is moisture coming up from the concrete slab floor and the only remedy is to remove the floor and use a moisture barrier system recommended by the manufacturer of the flooring. We have many here in the states but unsure what you can get over there. I know this sounds like bad news, and it sort of is. In the states, the installer is responsible for determining if the job site is acceptable for installing a wood floor. The store and manufacturer have no control over job site conditions. Your installer, IMO, is responsible to repair the floor. If the flooring was acclimated for two months and was fine at the time of installation, then WHY would it suddenly be of inferior quality (or go bad?). See what I mean? It obviously was good enough at the time of installation so it is what the installer did or did not do that caused the failed floor. That is clearly obvious to me. Sherlock Holmes would agree, I am sure :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:32 pm 
New User

I see what you mean about the wood being fine at the time of installation. I know that no moisture meter was used.

As its only in one patch would we be able to repair it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:12 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

It is possible to repair just a section. However, if whatever caused the buckling is not identified and fixed, then it will probably happen again. I recommend getting a second opinion before any further action is taken. Here is a list of NWFA members in the UK. I suggest calling one that is near you to get further info and find a true professional to come out and examine the job.
http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/find ... UK&param2=