Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New poster questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:31 pm 
New User

Howdy from a noobie here.

I have several questions and realize that I will have more as I go.
My wife and I recently sold a house with a lot of solid red oak flooring. Half way through negotiations on an existing house (with 1000 sq ft of brand new hardwood laminate flooring ) my wife wife asks me "We can replace that floor, right?" She wants solid red oak flooring again.
Ahem.
Really, she's right - the laminate is too dark and the seams bother me. I'm getting some estimates next week, but have some question so that I can talk with some knowledge to the flooring guys.

1) House has slab foundation, I assume (we know how dangerous that is) that a subfloor was placed for the laminate. Can I reuse it? At 1000 sq feet that is likely not an insignificant amount but I wouldn't want to save a penny and ruin a dollar, so to speak.

2) I have noticed that there are "prefinished planks" out there. first impluse was that it sounded like a bad idea, but then I thought that that would allow me to see EXACTLY what each board would look like as they were being laid.

3) if that is not a bad idea, would it be wise to slap a top coat of polyurethane (or whatever) on top after placing the t seal any micro gaps between boards?

That'll get me started at least - thanks in advance!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: New poster questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:00 pm 
Prized Contributor

You should be able to use the floor preparation for the laminate, presuming it has a moisture barrier under it, if you are installing flooring that will float. A pre-finished floor is your best buy. Most pre-finished floors have a micro-bevel and that bothers some people. An engineered floor will be the most stable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:32 pm 
New User

Thx Pete.
No, we have decided on solid red oak - no laminate. Didn't know about the bevels. on that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:34 pm 
Prized Contributor

Directions should come with your flooring. You may need to install a 3/4 inch plywood fastened to the slab to fasten to, if you aren't floating the floor.

Profile E-mail