Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New solidwood install:gaps between planks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:22 pm 
New User

Hi! Team, we had new solid cedar hardwood floor install yesterday. We have total 1200 sq ft to install and 900 sq ft is already installed in one day by the installer. Out of 900 sq ft, one game room is upstairs which is nailed down and used sound barrier on plywood. Remaining 700+ sq ft is downstairs and it is nailed down on plywood.
We noticed gaps between plans ( I will try to attach the picture). Gaps are visually big . A quarter size coin can go through it if pass through vertically. Or a key can go through it if you hold vertically.

In a room of 20 X 20 , there are 20-30 planks which have gaps. Contractor says that he will use wood fillings to fill up the gap. The contractor sent another inspector today afternoon and he said these are wide gaps.

Please let me know your feedback. We are suggesting for the replacement of the floor to the contractor and not sure how hard we should fight for it. If we settle down with wood fillings then will there be any problem in future. We are in Dallas, TX.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: New solidwood install:gaps between planks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:32 pm 
New User

Any feedback/comment is much appreciated. We are meeting with installer tomorrow. We do not want take incorrect decision due to lack of knowledge in this area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:47 pm 
Prized Contributor

From what I know about Cedar if does not expand and contract like oak or Hickory so you would not need to leave big gaps when it is being laid in the dry part of the year to accommodate expansion from hot humid weather in the summer. Cedar shingles work fine in the rainy weather and don't expand too much. They are also quarter-sawn, though.
Cedar is very soft, though. I would not recommend it for a floor. Cedar closet lining is recommended for walls, not the floor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:04 pm 
New User

Thanks for the comment and appreciate the response.
The installer gave us following options
1. Redo the floor with Cedar wood ( Issue is wood stock at the installer is short of 300 sq ft and we have to go with carprt in 2 bedrooms).
2. Red oak 2 1/4 inch (can be done for all rooms)

We are leaning towards second option of red oak since it is available for total area.

Please let us know if there is any comment/feedback.

Thanks again,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:06 am 
Prized Contributor

#1 Red oak would make a good floor. I like to stain it a light brown color. Then the small defects like knots and mineral streaks blend in with the grain. Natural looks good, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:03 pm 
New User

Thanks for the response. I like light brown as well. Thank you again for your time.

Profile E-mail