Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Newbie ??? American Cherry Finish.......Prefer water based
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:15 am 
New User

Hello, I have started installing 600 sq feet of character grade Am Cherry and would like to know what may be my best choices for finishes. So far I have done a sample of a couple of finishes and not really happy with either, however I did not do any preps between coats. The oil finish I tried was gymseal, and my issues with it was the strong smell and gave me a monotone color; it does bring out the grain, but I would prefer the mixture of true color differences that Am Cherry offers. The next product I tried was satin Sure Shine. I believe it should be possible to get more enrichening of the grain and I really wasn't pleased with the way it laid and hardened, looks a bit unsmooth, well, for the lack of a good way to describe it, I am just not pleased or perhaps it needs to be buffed.
I am certainly unexperienced, as I am just a home owner looking for the best solutions for my DIY situation.
I do live in the country with a large dog, so dirt and traffic is an issue. There seems to be a preferance with Bona products from a quick hour of searching and reading. If this is the case, where is the best place to order from, considering I live in the northeast and shipping costs. Also, what special tools are a must have. Thank you!!!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:23 am 
New User

You have a lot of issues here...you got to have the right tools...even with the right tools, some professionals can't get it right. I can go on forever on how to finish...Oil based poly is going to give you the richest color with out staining (Sad to stain a beautiful wood like Am. Cherry). Over time the color will become darker. The harder products are the commercial grade water based, Bona Traffic, Basic Coatings Street Shoe etc. Harder, only meaning scratch resistance. The color will not be as dark and rich as the oil, and over time will not get as dark (but still will darken over time).