Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:34 pm 
Valued Contributor

I have always used the term "decking" to detote that which is on the bottom. Everything else is subfloor.

I suppose I should look the words up. hoho

I have seen plenty of that superthick particle board over the years. It melts in water. hoho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:15 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Chuck, From the APA. Note they call it subflooring, not decking.

http://www.apawood.org/level_b.cfm?content=prd_ply_main

AND

http://www.apawood.org/level_b.cfm?cont ... _bas_floor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:12 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, Gary. I need to get in touch with them and give them some advice as to proper terminology. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:00 pm 
Prized Contributor

ChuckCoffer wrote:
I need to get in touch with them and give them some advice as to proper terminology. :lol:

Hehehehe! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:30 am 
New User

Sorry for not checking in, but I've been busy with the house and haven't even started the staircase or the floors. Painting has been my biggest concern right now.

OK, here are some changes since my last post. 1st let me apologize and mention that YES what I have is a OSB subfloor not particle board like I first mentioned. I messed up and got them confused. So now knowing that, I assume it is acceptable to nail down 3/4" flooring on that OSB assuming the rating is correct?

One thing I can't seem to find on the site is, how to get started? I mean where is the correct place to begin laying down flooring in a room?

Before I begin the floors I am starting up the staircase. I decided to go with an oak solid tread. I looked into the prices for having someone come in and install strips on that staircase and it was just to much for my budget so I decided to go with the easier solid treads.

Now question, for the first stair where the handrail post is. Does the post typically sit on top of the stair or on the floor level notched into the first stair? I was looking at that last night. I had carpet, and the post was notched into the first step, which pretty much means I need a new riser on that first step now.

My last question is top nailing or actually, what type of nailing or screwing should I use for these solid treads? Are screws acceptable? Or should I use nails?

Thanks for all your help guys, I like being prepared and educated BEFORE doing a project so this site is a GOD SEND!