Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Newbie have question about Malaysian Cherry Wood
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:29 pm 
New User

I went to a local Floor/Carpet retailer and he said he has some Malaysian cherry for sale and that they are good quality. I have heard of Brazilian Cherry and thats what i wanted but he said the Malaysian cherry are very good also. Is he just trying to get rid of the Malaysian Cherry or are they really of good quality? I have never heard of Malaysian Cherry. He said he will charge me only $3200 for a 560sq ft, that includes labor and all parts. What do you all think?

btw. he said its prefinished and not laminate
THanks

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:31 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

There's an old saying if you recall, "You get what you paid for." Well, only paying $5.71 per sq.ft. for a hardwood floor installed including the cost of the flooring, seems ridiculously low. There is a bunch of chinese imports these days, in all the markets. I suspect that that is what you are getting for that low price. The finish isn't great and the quality of the wood? Who really knows? Ask that salesperson what species of wood it is and I'll bet you they don't know. Ask them the botanical name of the wood species! :shock: Furthermore, you obtained all this info from whom: a salesperson, who's job is to sell you something! Personally, I would be sceptical. But that is my nature anyway. Stick with the brand names and well-respected dealers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:55 am 
New User

As far as the price goes, on the showroom floor, they have the wood listed at $7.99 per sq ft just for the wood. I have bought over $9K in rugs and carpet so thats why he is giving me a discount on the wood. I am just not sure about Malaysian wood, i have never heard of it, but then again i dont know much about hardwood floors.

Does anyone have experience with malaysian cherry?