Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Newbie...Hello...Questions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:00 pm 
New User

Hello. My name is Keith and I'll be doing my first hardwood floor install in a small bunkhouse at the lake. I'm going for a rustic look and in no way needs to be a perfect install on my part. I have many questions, so let me set the stage...

Structure is an Amish-built shed 16' x 32'
Actual area of floor to be installed is 372 sq. ft. (I will face nail entire floor...hand or pneumatic?)
Subfloor is 5/8" LP Advantech with a red-ish coating of sorts (paint?)
16" oc floor joists (2" x 6" SYP)
3/4" x varying widths (4" - 8") pine flooring (yet to be planed and jointed)
Final thickness should be equal to or greater than 1/2" (not tongue and groove)
My initial questions are these:

1. Must all fasteners penetrate the floor joists?
2. Hand nailing - Fastener length? Fastener type? Fastener source?
3. Pneumatic nailing - Fastener length? Fastener type? Fastener gauge?
4. Underlayment - Red rosin paper or 15 lb. black roofing felt?

Thanks for having me,

Keith

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Newbie...Hello...Questions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:26 am 
Prized Contributor

For top-nailed flooring using 5/16" thick oak strips or planks we use 1" long floor brads that have a sharp "diamond" point that holds well because a sharp nail will spread the fibers so there will be better resistance to being pulled from friction developed from the sub-floor wood surface.
The nailing schedule is a nail every inch across the butt-joints and rows of brads every 6-12 inches apart. 8" is typical between rows. This installation method does not rely on any glue assistance. A row into joists then in between is good.
If you use glue assistance you will need less fasteners for your plan, but will not be able to install any underlayment moisture barrier.
I like to use aquabar paper because it will be easier to clean as you work over it and the strips will slide into position more easily using a strong screwdriver to pry the rows together as you go to tack them into place.
After all the strips are tacked in place wall to wall, this would be the time to use fasteners for top-nailing. You could use 16 gauge air nails set as deeply as th gun would allow. Then you need to fill the nail holes and hope that you do not sand the surface down to expose the nail heads before you start the stain and finish process.

Profile E-mail