Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Newbie Questions about hardwood flooing choices and install
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:31 pm 
New User

Hi! First post here and SO glad to find a great forum to browse about flooring stuff!

Sorry my first post is SO lengthy, but I have LOTS of questions and need LOTS of advice!

My husband and I just bought a new constructionin Dallas Fort Worth area that finished last month and we close on the home this Friday :D We bought the home after it was completed so didn't get to choose any of the finishes. We want to rip out the carpeted areas and put in engineered hardwood. Our budget for sq. footage before installation is about 3.00-5.99

We have been to numerous flooring places and I feel like I always leave with more questions and concerns after each visit! I hate being "Sold" stuff that I clearly have no idea about, so hoping to get input/advice/opinions on a wide variety of stuff here

On Friday, I will be having 3 different companies coming to my house to do estimates - I personally am estimating the sq footage for the engineered hardwood to be around 1600-1800. I will name them, Company A (highest price), Company B (mid range), Company C (small company, bargain prices) - I want to be prepared when they come, not overwhelmed.

So feel free to give ANY input/advice/thoughts on these questions/concerns I have

Flooring Brand

Company A carries these brands

*Anderson
*ARK floors
*Bruce
*Carlton Hardwood Flooring
*Earthwerks
*Harris Wood
*Max Windsor
*Mullican
*Pinnacle
*Scandinavian
*UrbanFloor
*Mirage
*Johnson.Hardwood
*Armstrong
*Bausen
*Mannington
*The Garrison Collection

lowest priced floors are from 4.99 installed up to who knows

Company B Carries

*Mohawk
*Bruce
*Armstrong
*Pergo
*Marazzi
*Shaw
*Dixie Home
*Toscana Distrubutor

Company B doesn't have a showroom, just a mobile one, so I haven't seen their products yet, but they are the highest rated company I could find with ratings and reviews online, and they have told me their prices range from $ 4.99/sqft ** to $5.50/sqft all INCLUDED (whatever that exactly includes I am not sure) so I will be seeing their samples for the first time on friday when they come and do an in home estimate

Company C Carries

*LW
*Hickory Creek Mills
and a couple other I don't remember the names of, but very few selection at Company C

Cheapest prices, with a rebate from the manufacturers which translates to be 3.49-4.99 installed

We have a concrete slab, so would also like advice on how it should be installed. Flooring companies have said we can float it or glue it down, what are the pros and cons of floating it vs gluing it down

and if you have ANY other helpful hints, advice, opinions, PLEASE feel free to share them, I appreciate it

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Newbie Questions about hardwood flooing choices and install
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:54 pm 
Prized Contributor

So many questions, so little time. Go here and do research. Sister site to this one.

http://www.uptownfloors.com/site-map.htm

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:46 pm 
Prized Contributor

Where do you live?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:38 am 
New User

Pete A. wrote:
Where do you live?

Wylie/Dallas Fort Worth Area

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:45 am 
Prized Contributor

The engineered flooring that you can choose from has lots of sizes and styles.
You will make the voice about what goes with your architecture. What style of house do you own? I usually recommend a light brown color to anchor the architecture. Do you want easy care or are you willing to get down and do some maintenance on a wax type finish? Do you want smooth and flat or wavy.
All the types of flooring sold have advantages in that they can be finished to your color before it gets to your house. Do you want a comfortable walking surface that is not hard like concrete? A floating floor can help.
There will be dust from cutting the pieces even though there is no sanding.
Pre-finished flooring will be ready to walk on soon after installation.
Preparation of the sub-floor is important.
Even though you will not install it you should have a copy of the installation instructions and read and understand the process. The installers should read and understand the instructions from the floor manufacturer, also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:41 am 
New User

Pete A. wrote:
The engineered flooring that you can choose from has lots of sizes and styles.
You will make the voice about what goes with your architecture. What style of house do you own? I usually recommend a light brown color to anchor the architecture. Do you want easy care or are you willing to get down and do some maintenance on a wax type finish? Do you want smooth and flat or wavy.
All the types of flooring sold have advantages in that they can be finished to your color before it gets to your house. Do you want a comfortable walking surface that is not hard like concrete? A floating floor can help.
There will be dust from cutting the pieces even though there is no sanding.
Pre-finished flooring will be ready to walk on soon after installation.
Preparation of the sub-floor is important.
Even though you will not install it you should have a copy of the installation instructions and read and understand the process. The installers should read and understand the instructions from the floor manufacturer, also.

thanks for the info - is there any drawbacks to a floating floor? I have heard that is IS more comfortable to walk on, just curious about any cons.

As for the as easy care, I would prefer it. I am leaning toward a handscraped engineered with a matte (not shiny) finish

here are some photos of my kitchen and house

http://imgur.com/a/d03Vo

Close up of travertine floors in all wet areas which we wont be replacing - its in kitchens, bathrooms, entryway. laundry room

http://imgur.com/a/do6Ez

and cabinets are glossy (which I dislike, but didnt get to chose the finish)

http://imgur.com/soOdGfX

Do you guys think it s ok to go with a more matte floor?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:38 am 
Prized Contributor

Floating requires a T-mold transition strip where it meets the tile, they look ugly and many people dislike them but are willing to settle as a glue down costs more. With a glue down random plank you can glue right up to the stone.

With a stone installation - they are usually set with more mud and the height is higher than any regular ceramic tile. So I would pull back the carpet where it meets the tile and check the height so then you can decide the thickness of the wood you want to use and that will make a smooth transition to the tile. Thickness of an all in one type adhesive is about an eighth of an inch at most.

Glossy finish shows everything so I would go matte.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:17 pm 
New User

floormeintucson wrote:
Floating requires a T-mold transition strip where it meets the tile, they look ugly and many people dislike them but are willing to settle as a glue down costs more. With a glue down random plank you can glue right up to the stone.

With a stone installation - they are usually set with more mud and the height is higher than any regular ceramic tile. So I would pull back the carpet where it meets the tile and check the height so then you can decide the thickness of the wood you want to use and that will make a smooth transition to the tile. Thickness of an all in one type adhesive is about an eighth of an inch at most.

Glossy finish shows everything so I would go matte.

that is GREAT Info, thank you!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:11 am 
New User

I've been a flooring contractor for 25 years.
Installed many brands of refinished and unfinished products.
Mullican refinished floors are among the worst floors you can purchase.
their milling is terrible, 1/8" variances is very common. rough edges ,
inconsistent edges.Product doesn't even match their samples.
Plus their warranty is a joke.
With all the quality refinished floors out there Don't buy Mullican.

Profile E-mail