Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: newbie with quick question
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:29 am 
New User

i got a lot of info from searching previous posts, but i have one more question i couldn't find an answer to. i want to install a 3/4 inch hardwood floor in the kitchen. the kitchen currently has vinyl lanolium installed. the vinyl is still in very good condition. no cracks, rips, bubbles, etc. can i lay the paper and hardwood on top of the vinyl or does the vinyl have to come up first?

also, (independent of the above question) how often do i have to nail the floor down?

if it helps, i live in maryland. the floor currently has a craw space under it but is currently having a basement dug out.

thanks in advance!

jason

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:04 am 
Prized Contributor

Wait for the basement to be fully completed, and cured for at least a minumum of 120 days.

Moisture test the subfloor! 4% max difference between the subfloor and finished flooring. If you skip this, you may be buying new wood.

Go right over the sheet vinyl.
8" minimum between fasteners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:53 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Odds are that vinyl floor has been installed over underlayment which was installed over the subfloor. If the underlayment is plywood and well attached, you're "good to go". If the underlayment is particle board, it will need to be removed. The NWFA and NOFMA do not recommend nailing wood floors on or through particle board. Best to check before installing the floor. Good tip on Floorguy's part; to wait till the concrete/masonry is fully cured and moisture completely evaporated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:59 pm 
New User

thanks for all the info and advice. if anybody else has any more, please keep it coming! i'll most certainly check out what is under the vinyl.

i guess i was a little misleading in my description of the below grade structure. when the house was built, a basement was poured. the people who built the house had the option, for an extra $2K to keep the basement. they decided not to pay the extra $2K and the contractor filled the basement up with soil in essence creating a craw space. my wife and i purchased this house and decided to reclaim the basement. i've been told that the actual foundation is fine and that the fill just needs to be dug back out. to the best of my knowledge (based on quotes from contractors) no walls will have to be poured nor much construction take place.

thanks for all your help!
jason

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Wait
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:08 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Even though you may have concrete walls in your basement, you may still have a dirt floor. Even if someone knows for certain that there is otherwise, I'd probably wait. While the vinyl will go a long way in isolating the hardwood from moisture, that kind of work often begets other work that could affect your floor.
It's your dollar.

Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:16 pm 
New User

thanks for the advice. that is why i'm here!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:13 am 
Valued Contributor

This is a sort of wacky scenario, Wormwood.

If I understand you correctly,you are removing dirt down to more dirt. Dirt makes vapor.. It would be best that you cover your floor from the underside by stapling 6mil polyethylene to the joists. Vinyl can hide a vapor prob.

Screwtape.