Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: North Florida New Home Hardwood Floor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:58 pm 
New User

I have been researching hardwood floors for a home I am having built in North Florida. This site has been informative thus far. The installation would be grade and above grade. Concrete slab downstairs and a few hundred square feet upstairs. Thanks!

I would appreciate your opinion on the following questions:

1> In general, when it is all said and done, is there a price difference between site-finished and pre-finished flooring of the same wood species (including labor)?

2> Do the extra finish layers on pre-finished floors provide any extra protection from moisture or is it not significant?

3> Is there a distinct advantage to engineered hardwood in Florida?

4> The site mentions that there are some quality square edge pre-finished products---are these frowned upon or are they viable options?

5> With a quality engineered hardwood, how long before a person would consider re-finishing? 10 years? 20?

6> If I am considering a Santos Mahogany floor, is this best done unfinished, pre-finished ? Engineeered or Solid?

7> Are wider planks considered more problematic?(Gapping/warping/etc)

8> If you were building a new home like me, what would you choose to do?

So many questions! Sorry. Feel free to answer briefly!

Ron M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Ron:

Also being in Florida I can help you with most matters, but the major decisions are yours :D

1- That's the hardest one to answer. It depends on the grade selected.

2- No

3- Yes. Reasons being the lack of qualified individuals doing site finished floors. Engineered hardwoods will provide more stability, but having the right professional doing the job with attention to what causes failures is the advantage in any job.

4- Good quality square edge prefinished products are hard to come by. What many don't realize when making a decision is what kind of overwood to expect. IE- differences in overall vertical height from one board to another after installation.

5- Depends on care and what you deem "needs refinishing"

6- Too many variables--maybe others can help

7- With solid 3/4" products yes--engineered no.

8- Biased opinion--no answer

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:29 pm 
New User

Thank you for the answers. The builder seems to prefer the site finished floors--and we do not yet know of quality pre-finished installers in town.

We have seen mostly oak strip floors that have been site-finished.
Another question:

If I prefer an exotic hardwood, is it easier to get that exotic as pre-finished or can you(or the installer) get it unfinished as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
The builder seems to prefer the site finished floors

Does that mean they're using traditional 3/4" hardwoods with a 3/4" plywood subfloor on concrete? That's usually the case with many builders when unfinished hardwoods are used in Florida.

One idea to consider with unfinished exotics where a plywood subfloor is not needed would be a product we don't list on the site. It's called Pro Plank by Forest Accents. Unfinished engineered 3 1/2" or 4 3/4" plank square edge--available in Santos Mahogany, Brazilian Cherry, Brazilian Walnut and Australian Cypress. Great looking stuff that comes "pre sanded" Anotherwords all it needs is one pass with 100 grit paper then finishing starts. Total thickness 1/2" 7 ply with an 1/8" solid sawn wear layer.

Good alternative for hardwood on concrete without plywood. Gluedown application. Hardwood costs are around 5.00 per square foot.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:14 pm 
New User

[quote]Does that mean they're using traditional 3/4" hardwoods with a 3/4" plywood subfloor on concrete? [/quote]

Yes, I believe so.

How many times can that 1/8" wear layer be refinished?

Is that a product where I can order it online cheaper and get it to the installer to do the labor (if they allow that)?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:18 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
How many times can that 1/8" wear layer be refinished?

Ron:

It really depends on one often overlooked element --- HOW FLAT THE SUBLOOR IS I would say two times is more realistic with someone that knows what they're doing. Some may say three with a wear layer of 1/8" Screening and recoating from time to time will allow the floor to last much longer before complete refinishing is considered.

Quote:
Is that a product where I can order it online cheaper and get it to the installer to do the labor

Not many know the product exists. I would strongly suggest obtaining samples first.

Profile E-mail