Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: novice installer...any help appreciated
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:59 pm 
New User

Hello,
Until I came across this site, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do...now maybe I don't. Very quickly the specifics.

My house is about 55 years old. I've been here for approx. 3 years w/ another 5 max. The original( I guess) hardwoods are throughout most of the house. I'm presently tiling the kitchen and want to install engineered hardwoods in one room( approx 135 square feet. )
The previous owners put linoleum tile over the subfloor and 3/4" painted
plywood over that! I was going to rip out the plywood until I discovered it was glued, nailed, and screwed. So I'm going over it. Looking around locally, I've been leaning toward the Bruce Turlington just because it seemed to match best to my existing. I was planning on pneumatically nailing it w/ 2" nails to get down to the sub.
Now that I've landed here, I've seen that there are quite a few other brands and possibilites. Because of the smaller area to cover, I wouldn't be opposed to a slightly higher cost if it meant a much better product/durability. Any recommendations?
thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:13 pm 
New User

well, I'd hoped I wouldn't be the first response to my own post, but....

I've decided on the Kahr's originals floating floor (95+" x 7+/-") over the
existing 3/4 plywood/lineolium/subfloor.

Most likely, I would already have a moisture barrier for the original linoleum...correct?

So would I be okay w/ the standard issue underlayment(quiet walk or whatever) soundwise?
I'm trying not to build this floor up any more than I have to for fear of hitting my head on the ceiling....