Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oak floor, problem with polyurethane?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:28 pm 
New User

So I'm working on a white oak floor from early 60s. Sanded off all the old poly. Went from 36g to 60g to 100g and screened the floor with 100g and the floors looked beautiful. I was almost contemplating using a waterborne poly because I liked the color of the white oak so much, but I digress. I am Using Lenmar oil-based Poly in a satin finish. I have applied 3 coats to a room and they are the correct sheen and smooth as glass and hard as a rock. My problem is the floors don't feel smooth. There is not a speck of dust or bubbles anywhere. A good example would be when I run my bare socks across my brothers hardwoods I slide. Here on my floors...not so much. They are kind of catching on the grain of the floor. Its hard to explain. Should I add more coats? What should I do? I feel like I put the coats on super thin, but I don't do this for a living. what are my options to fix this, if any? Thanks in advance everyone! ALso The Lenmar is near fool proof or so I thought. I cant roll or brush it on thick if I tried. it came in quart size containers. the VOC on it is 575 I think. Strong stuff.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Oak floor, problem with polyurethane?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:11 pm 
Prized Contributor

How long did you allow the second coat to cure before you applied the third coat?
I think that you would get a better finish if you allow second or third coats of finish to cure at least a few days so the scuffing that you do between coats doesn't rough the floor up, just slight powdering. This may help get it smoother, if you are applying thin coats.

Profile E-mail