Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oak Floor Refinished with some amazing grain
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:35 am 
Newbie Contributor

Here's a picture of an oak floor I refinished on Capecod,notice how wild that grain is in the lower right hand corner

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Oak Floor Refinished with some amazing grain
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:56 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Umm, looks like your basic #2 common red oak to me. Natural finish in what? semi-gloss? Sorry man, do you do anything special? Quartersawn white oak? Exotics? Inlays or borders? Parquetry?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:43 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Gary wrote:
Umm, looks like your basic #2 common red oak to me. Natural finish in what? semi-gloss? Sorry man, do you do anything special? Quartersawn white oak? Exotics? Inlays or borders? Parquetry?

Sorry about what?
Quartersawn? not many jobs use that because of cost,I haven't even though it is more stable(I have installed Brazilian Cherry, mahogany,
That was a refinish job with a final coat of woodline semi-gloss
How about this deck for special? done in redwood

I've been in this business for 40 years so I don't think I would have any problem with your borders or what ever.... I will tell you what I have seen in this business (everybody is an expert) and I've seen some pretty lousy sanding and finishing jobs out there... swirls,gouges,waves,crap in the finish,poor adhesion and the list goes on...You could put a chalk line on any one of my installs and it would be dead on

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:53 am 
Prized Contributor

Looking at that pic, some of those boards resemble the graining of Elm, almost. If the floor is old enough, that could actually be the case. I have encountered floors of mixed species on occasion, either by design or by accident, I dont know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:54 pm 
Newbie Contributor

dennis wrote:
Looking at that pic, some of those boards resemble the graining of Elm, almost. If the floor is old enough, that could actually be the case. I have encountered floors of mixed species on occasion, either by design or by accident, I dont know.

This deck was built over 25 years ago(not by me)I was told it's redwood...They called me in to sand it down to the bare wood.(they were using a semi-transparent stain and some idiot decided to paint it white) It had a lot of moisture in the wood and the paint was peeling all over the place.. After getting it down to the bare wood I got a friend in the painting business to bleach it and also paint the skirt around the whole deck

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:00 pm 
Newbie Contributor

QualityFloorCo wrote:
dennis wrote:

This deck was built over 25 years ago(not by me)I was told it's redwood...They called me in to sand it down to the bare wood.(they were using a semi-transparent stain and some idiot decided to paint it white) It had a lot of moisture in the wood and the paint was peeling all over the place.. After getting it down to the bare wood I got a friend in the painting business to bleach it and also paint the skirt around the whole deck

I forgot to mention that compass rose in the center had to be repaired because it was all rotten,the rest of the deck was fine except for the black around the nail holes..the beach seemed to kill a lot of that

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:22 pm 
Prized Contributor

No doubt, but I was referring to the first pic of the oak floor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:31 pm 
Newbie Contributor

dennis wrote:
No doubt, but I was referring to the first pic of the oak floor.

What I noticed was the grain at the lower right hand corner,you can barely make out where the sides of the boards are

Profile E-mail