Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3/4" Oak Plank to Elevated Brick Fireplace Hearth
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:47 am 
New User

Installing 3/4" x 3.25" pre-finished Bruce oak planks over an above-grade concrete slab with 3/4" CDX in a 15x19 room. Appreciate all the existing advice for concrete slab installations--taking it all to heart.

:?: Need advice on best method to frame around a brick fireplace hearth and conceal the required expansion gap. Also framing around a staggered-pattern of 12"x12" textured stone tiles. Think I can use a modified T-molding to bridge the gap, but open to any better ideas. :idea:

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and assistance.

Marty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:32 pm 
Prized Contributor

Personally, I would have undercut the brick, during the floor prep, before anything was installed.

If you are past that stage, an end cap or a modified "T" molding made to be an endcap, will work. The hard part is getting it to attach to the brickand not sag while an adhesive sets up, since you don't want to attach it to the finished floor or the plywood subfloor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:48 pm 
New User

Perry,

Still in the planning stage, so not too late to undercut. Was hoping to avoid that if there was a better alternative, but looks like I'll be putting the masonry blade on and making some noise. Appreciate the input.

Marty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:53 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Know what I do? It's not the BEST but it looks fine and is FAST. Leave your gap around the hearth; not to much, 1/2" or so. When finished installing the floor, install reducer on top of floor in a picture frame design. Gaps behind the reducer can be filled with grout or caulk that matches the motar/grout color in the hearth. Perry's suggestion is the BEST and cleanest looking.

Post subject: Picture frame with quarter round and attach with liquid nail
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:48 am 
Newbie Contributor

Hi,
I am new and would be installing hardwood this weekend. I have a marble fireplace hearth and here is what I am gonna do based on all the advice I have gotten:

Picture frame around the hearth with hardwood leaving 1/2" gap and then use quarter rounds to hide it. Would use liquid nail to fasten the round to the marble. The starting board would then be the strip next to the longest edge and would have to change directions once. Take a look at the below:
www.faceliftfloors.com/q-and-a/framefireplace.php

Hope that helps