Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oil based floor finish too thick!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:35 pm 
New User

After laying down 3 thin coats of oil based finish on my pine floors, I decided one final coat would do the trick. I used the recommended lambs wool applicator for the last coat. The other 3 coats were put down with a 3/8 nap Purdy roller. The lambs wool coat went on too thick and had too many overlap marks in it. I then re-rented the buffer and used a 150 grit screen on the floor to smooth out the flawed coat. I then rerolled the last thin coat. It looks good as far as appearence is concerned, but is still not cured good even after 2 weeks. It will dent from pressure on chair legs and in some places even a fingernail pressed down hard into the finish. Will this finish cure properly to a hard finish or will I have to resolve to sand it down and start over? Your input would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:12 am 
Prized Contributor

Did the heavy coat powder well when it was buffed out? It sounds if the final coat was put over a partially dry coat which severly slows the drying down. There is a good chance it will fully cure out just give it a few more weeks. Is it soft throughout or it worse in certain areas?

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:28 am 
New User

Thanks guys for your feedback. I don't remember the brand name. I bought it at Home Depot in a 5 gal. bucket for about 79.00. I'm out of town right now. Had to get my family off the floors. When I get back I'll post the name brand. It doesn't appear to be thick all over, just in certain places, especially the dining room where we've already tested the hardness with the chair legs. What is the best course of action with furniture/traffic until it cures? (I have 3 kids and 2 cats.) Would putting larger pads under the feet such as 4x4 in. thin pieces of wood help distribute the weight, or would that impair the curing process?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:21 am 
Prized Contributor

Yes I think that putting larger felt glides may help distribute the weight. How long after the thick coat went on did you buff it out and recoat?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:10 am 
New User

I buffed and recoated approx. 12-14 hours later.....!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:35 pm 
Prized Contributor

yep, I had a feeling and from what I can tell the third coat was not dry enough for the fourth coat to go down. Finishes dry from the top down and the thicker the slower. Since you coated over a partially dry coat you severly slowed down its ability to dry, it will dry just real hard to say how long ti going to take.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:53 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Air circulation at this point (turn on all exhaust fans in bath and utility rooms) and patience are the best option.

OMP can take 30-60 days for a full cure. Add summer conditions, mix in a little humidity, recoat too soon, all could add about 30% -50% more cure time.

Wear socks, be carefull with the furniture, walk on egg-shells for a while and in time she'll be tougher 'n a $2 steak. :)

Hope this helps,

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:45 pm 
New User

I just got home and checked to see what brand I used. It is Pro Finisher by Parks - Oil Based Polyurethane - -Professional Grade. Say's it's fast drying. I guess that's under ideal conditions.. I appreciate all of your feedback guys. Thanks for giving up your time and advice for those of us with less knowledge..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:40 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

FYI, I once use that product bought in a store in CA. It was the 350 VOC product line and even Bill Price, who is somehow connected with Parks, says that particular product line is CRAP and slow drying. I gave Bill and Parks a ration of S**T over their false advertizing statements about "pro" quality and fast drying. Had the national marketing president of Parks have me out for dinner to discuss it. Seems Parks is trying and does have some new product lines out there but it's buyer beware until all the old crap has been sold off or pulled from the shelves. For me, I'm sticking to BONA/Woodline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:56 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Kelly Goodwinn Just offered to give me a few gallons to try for free. Every time I've tried free poly I've lived to regret it.

I'll stick with Fabulon.

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail