Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oil-based stain and water-based stain
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:26 pm 
New User

I was hoping someone may have a suggestion to resolve my problem. About 4 years ago I had the wood floors of the entire top floor and the stairs stained (Early American-Minwax) and then oil poly. Then, this past summer I had a room downstairs done in Early American (I believe the same type of wood floor as on the stairs-white oak) but the contractor used water-based stain. He convinced me it would be better having a newborn in the house to use water poly. But, once it was all done the color of the floor was significantly lighter than the stairs. I figured I would live with it as it wasn't that noticeable given the distance from this room to the stairs.

Now, I'm looking to have the ceramic tile in our foyer replaced with hardwood floor and the problem is that this new floor will both run right up to the lighter stained floor as well as be immediately below the staircase with the darker wood.

What should I do? Can I have the water-based room lightly scuffed and have an oil-poly put down on it? Should I finish the whole downstairs in water-based and live with it knowing I can eventually re-finish the upstair in water-based? I'm at a loss. If someone could please make a suggestion that minimizes expenses I would appreciate it greatly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:23 pm 
Prized Contributor

You can put water over oil, but not oil over water. The finish will crawl on you if you try it.

You will also have major adhesion problems.