Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oil Based Urethane Applicator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:17 pm 
New User

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to start laying down white oak strip flooring in my kitchen (200 sq ft) and hall way (80 sqft). A few years ago I refinished the existing family room floor (300 sqft) using Varathane high gloss oil based poly and a brush. The floor was "rustic" style and pulled too many fibers from a lambs wool applicator.

I plan on using the same urethane for the new work. Should I try the lambs wool applicators again (I still have the one purchased from Varathane), or is something else better to use (roller)? The new flooring is Select grade.

In reading through the forum, I see some people use the 3/8" Purdy roller for oil base. Won't a roller leave lots of bubbles? I thought the finish had to be "floated" on and not brushed back and forth or rolled. I also see some people pour the oil based finish on the floor and spread it out. I though that was a technique for water based finishes and not used with oil based.

Varathane suggested two methods for applying additional coats. One called for application of the next coat before the previous cured (no sanding required between coats) and the other called for allowing it to cure, then sanding and recoating. I went with the former for the family room. It worked very well but I was left with only a few minor dust bumps. The major problem with this technique was that the floor is so glossy / shiny that it is next to impossible to see where the new (wet) finish is being applied and if there are any "skips". This time I may let it cure and sand between coats figuring the dulled surface will provide better contrast. Any thoughts as to which way is best?

Thanks!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:49 am 
New User

alot of people including myself are using a t-bar to apply oil finishes. Pulling the finish in a snowplow like fashion with the grain, and feathering out your turns works well and allows the finish to flow evenly. Sinthetic applicators can be purchased for the t-bar. Rinse the applicator out with paint thiner well to get rid of any lose fibers

Profile E-mail