Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: oil vs water or a combo?
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:03 pm 
New User

I just purchased a home (1925 Dutch Colonial) and have had a few estimates done to have the original oak floors upstairs refinished.
One guy said he would put a coat of oil sealant, then 2 coats of water (after sanding/staining).
Another said he would do 3 coats of water.
The 3rd said 2 coats of oil. When I told the 3rd guy I was concerned about the smell of the oil, he said he could do water, but would like to put the final coat as oil (he thinks scuffs don't show as much with oil.)
So I am confused. Any light anyone could shed on the oil/water debate would be great.

Secondly, I asked the same 3 guys about putting an extra coat of sealant on the floors on the first level of the house. Those floors were refinished by the previous owner about 7-8 years ago. I do not know what type of sealant was used.
The 1st guy said he could tell by looking at them that they had been done with water. He said he would buff them and recoat with 2 coats of water.
The 2nd guy said he would not touch them because he didn't know what had been used on them and there was a risk of bubbling/flaking.
The 3rd guy said he thought they had been done with oil by looking at them; he said he would buff and recoat with 1 coat of oil.
Again, confused. Any suggestions to both problems would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Lisa

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: oil vs water or a combo?
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:08 am 
Worthy Contributor

2 component waterbased finishes are what we have found to be the most durable. We prefer Bona traffic. Whether oil or water was used on the existing it can still be recoated if the right precautions are taken prior to recoating. The main issue would probably be what needs to be put onto the newly refinished floors to match the existing. I suggest posting some pictures on here to try to get some input as to what was used on the existing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:15 pm 
Worthy Contributor

i would definetly not put a water over an oil or vice versa on the new refinished part unless you are willing to let the first coats cure totally. As far as the recoat "what Rhodes said".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:50 pm 
New User

Thanks to both of you for the responses.

What "precautions" should be taken on the existing finished floor that I want recoated? (I tried to load some pictures but am having difficulty!)

Also, the guy I have coming to start sanding tomorrow said he thinks oil shows less scuff marks than water-based sealants. Do you agree? He mentioned using ShoeStreet products. Any opinions there?

Thank you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:33 pm 
New User

lak000 wrote:
Thanks to both of you for the responses.

What "precautions" should be taken on the existing finished floor that I want recoated? (I tried to load some pictures but am having difficulty!)

Also, the guy I have coming to start sanding tomorrow said he thinks oil shows less scuff marks than water-based sealants. Do you agree? He mentioned using ShoeStreet products. Any opinions there?

Thank you!

oil is more durable in my opinion most floor guys like to use water because they don't have to come back the next day and coat again. If you go with oil stay off as long as you can and don't put your furniture back until 72 hours have passed also do not drag anything across the floor! It may be dry but it will still be soft (not fully cured) takes about 3 weeks to fully cure good luck!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:30 pm 
Worthy Contributor

we use street shoe on about every job we do because it holds up better than any other finish we have tried. As far as scuffs go if you abuse any floor it will scuff.

Profile E-mail