Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Old Parquet Floors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:23 pm 
New User

We bought a house that has old oak parquet floors in one room. In the room adjacent we just put down new red oak hardwood. I am planning on using Streetshoe NXT on my new floors but I am not sure what to do with the old ones. They need some love and I would really like to just use water based finish on them so we can get into our new house sooner. Can I use water over a possible old oil based finish?????

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Old Parquet Floors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:19 pm 
Prized Contributor

Basic Coatings has a system that will promote adhesion between old coats of finish if there is no wax on the floor, which would be another maintenance system. Waxing involves lots of work on a schedule, so unless the previous owner had lots of energy or could hire a floor company, you would not have wax on the floor. You could test in an area where traffic would not have polished all the wax off of the floor with paint thinner and a white rag. Dirt will mix with wax, so rubbing the floor with a t-shirt dipped in paint thinner will look dirty. You may want to clean the floor first with hardwood floor and laminate cleaner or Squeaky Clean that Basic makes to take off the water cleanable dirt before you try to test for wax.
I have cleaned,scuffed and used Tykote from Basic to help insure adhesion and have had good success. Plan to use a satin finish and apply two coats, to make all the work you have done worthwhile, assuming that the first coat is not peeling off after it has dried when you give it an adhesion test with tape. If you like the color, this will save a lot of work and still look like a nice old floor. You can see the color you will get when you clean the floor with water and the floor is wet, since Streetshoe does not amber like an oil based finish no matte4r how many coats of finish are applied. Good luck!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Old Parquet Floors
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:56 am 
Newbie Contributor

The following advice as per me is for water based polyurethane:

Polyurethanes are the present standard floor wrap up. Water-based assortments used to have a notoriety for being eco-accommodating (still evident) however not as strong as general polys. Be that as it may, the present water-based polys are about as intense as their oil-based cousins.

One distinction is last shading: Water-based polys dry clear; oil-based polys have a slight golden tint.

Water-based polyurethane has low VOC content and is simple for a DIYer to apply. Three to four coats are suggested. You can utilize a water-based polyurethane over an oil-based poly as long as the old complete has totally cured (half a month).

Particularly useful for: eco-cognizant DIYers

While For Oil based polys i have following advice:

Oil-based polys are the pillar of floor completing and generally utilized by proficient finishers.

In spite of the fact that they're intense, dependable, and more affordable than water-based polys, oil-based polys have a higher VOC content and more grounded scent amid application. A coat takes 8 to 10 hours to dry, so you'll need to empty your home until the point when the floor is totally dry — and carry your pets with you. A few coats are prescribed.

Proficient floor refinishers report a few issues when utilizing an oil-based poly finished a water-based poly. Best exhortation: Don't do it.

Particularly useful for: professionally completed floors at a sensible cost

Profile E-mail